Kyotani x Shy! Reader

Start from the beginning

Oikawa sighed. "(L/N)-kun will be learning the ropes from you. Yahaba has to help Watari with something," he repeated, smirking a bit. "Does that sound fine to you?"

Yahaba glanced between Kyotani, Oikawa and (L/N). It wasn't the best idea; if poor (L/N) didn't keep up with Kyotani, he'd lose his cool and blow up on him. He was about to say something, but what Kyotani said next surprised him.

"Sure."
Kyotani looked at (L/N), who had now perked up. "I wasn't paying attention to that idiot. What's your position again?" He asked, ignoring Oikawa's hollering about being called a idiot.

(M/N) smiled nervously and lowered his hands from his shirt. "I'm a setter, b-but my blocking skills aren't too bad."
Kyotani nodded and walked away. (M/N) was about to sigh and talk to Oikawa, but the bleach-blonde returned a few moments later, now dressed and ready for practice. He walked to the net, then looked at (M/N) expectantly. "O-Oh!" He squeaked, speedwalking over. "Do.. do you want me to just set to you..?"

"For now," Kyotani answered. "Eventually, we'll get you used to everyone's pace. But right now, you're dealing with mine, so get ready."
He took a few steps back, then got ready to jump and spike. And as if the ball levitated and stopped right in front of him, it was set. He spiked it down with enough power to leave a mark on the ground. He looked up with wide eyes. Half the time, the sets he got were flukes; either too slow or too fast. But that- "That was perfect," he remarked, straightening up. "How'd you do that?"

"O-Oh, was it bad?! I'm sorry!" (M/N) apologized, rubbing his neck. "I-I just timed it- you move like a b-blur, but I counted the footsteps. I-I'm better at audible cues then visual ones, since I don't like seeing people much- not that it's because you're ugly! Trust me, y-you're not! I just g-get flustered when people see me looking, because I seem like a c-creep- I'm rambling aren't I?!" He blurted out all at once, anxiously fidgeting.

"Yeah. Shut up," Kyotani said flatly, huffing with a bit of annoyance. 'This dude's way too shy. It's oddly cute though.'

"Set for me again."

~~~

A few weeks passed. Kyotani and (M/N) had become an incredible duo, with sets and spikes that would be missed with the blink of an eye. It wasn't like Hinata and Kageyama's quick, but it was near it.

Kyotani had found himself more and more protective of (M/N) though. He was a shy, kind and fragile soul, so Kyo had found out that a few people were pushing him around as they pleased. He put that to an end with Iwaizumi's help.
But now, he noticed something else. (M/N) was really close with Kunimi. The two were always walking together, smiling and laughing. Around Kunimi, (M/N) was calm.

Around Kyotani? Oh dear lord.

(M/N) was the reddest tomato when it came to talking to Kyotani. Makki and Mattsun were convinced it was because he liked him, but (M/N) told them it was because Kyotani was intimidating and that he was still getting used to him.

Kyotani sighed as he sat in his classroom, eating his hamima chicken. He didn't like eating in the lunch room; too noisy. He heard chatter and arguing outside the door, but ignored it at first. That is, until the door opened. He looked up, surprised to see Kunimi shoving (M/N) inside. "Akira no-!" (M/N) squeaked, trying to get out, but the door was slammed in his face. He looked at Kyotani and smiled awkwardly. "Oh.. hi..?!"