Chapter Thirty-One

I woke up on the first day of school at seven o'clock. I slowly changed into  my uniform and sat at my vanity. It took me a couple minutes of staring at myself in the mirror before taming my curls and putting my hair into a high ponytail. Whilst tying my hair up, my eyes landed on the wooden pendant on my neck. The black silhouette of a raven, although simple, was a beautiful sight. I casted my teeth-cleaning spell on myself and sprayed perfume before grabbing my book bag and leaving my room. I walked out to the office and looked around. It was dull before, with all my father's things. But now that it was only my things, it seemed more dull. This room didn't have personality. Without thinking, I pulled out my wand and held out my hand. I pointed my wand at my palm and whispered "Orchideous". I had only read of this spell. I had never had a reason to use it, but it was simple and in my hand, a bouquet of green and black roses formed in my hand from nothing. I threw them onto my desk without a pot and walked to my door. Before I reached it, the door flew open and my father stood on the other side. 

"Are you ready?" He asked me.

"Do I look ready?" I asked, pushing past him.

I heard him close the door and he walked with me down the hall. 

"I honestly don't understand why this is necessary. I can control my anger." I told him.

"But you're losing control of your magic when you lose your temper." He told me.

"But I can control my anger!" I said, beginning to get frustrated.

"You're not doing well to prove it." I told me.

I gave a frustrated sigh and began to walk faster. I could walk on my own and he knew that. He was just getting on my nerves. I walked up the stairs up to the Great Hall and walked to the Slytherin table. 

"Raven! Why were you at the professor's table last night?" Gwen asked me.

"And why didn't you come to the common room after diner?" Davis asked.

"My father is keeping an eye on me this year, especially after what I've become over the summer. He doesn't want me alone with people without an adult around." I told them.

"But- what does that mean?" Daphne asked.

"It means I'm not aloud to be alone with my friends this year." I shrugged.

It wasn't a hard concept to understand. They were probably only going to talk to me during classes, and that was only possible for Gwen if she got moved to an advanced Potions and Charms class. 

"Lily." My father's cold voice came from behind me.

My friends looked up at my father, then at their food, as if guilty that they were talking to me. 

"Don't look like that." I said, mainly to Gwen, but she didn't look at me, "Gwen!" I yelled.

Her gaze snapped up and at me.

"Don't do that. You know what I've taught you. Don't let anyone change what I've taught you." I told her.

She nodded and looked up at my father. I sighed and turned to look up at my father.

"Are we just going to stand here?" I asked him.

He grabbed my upper arm and began to drag me down the aisle towards the table at the end of the Hall. He let go of me once we reached my spot at the table. I sat in my place and a plate of toast and berries showed up in front of me. I stared at the door of the Hall and ate my breakfast. I was waiting to make eye contact with Potter as soon as he walked in for breakfast. I wasn't phased when the owls flew into the Hall to deliver people's letters and packages. I didn't jump when Ross landed on the table beside me. I looked at him and took the Daily Prophet and my timetable from him.