Chapter Eighteen

After I had moved all of my things from my room to outside through my window, I waited impatiently for Nusaeross to come back. All I needed was to see a small black speck to show up in the sky, fly towards the window and land in my room, then turn into Ross. So I waited. I knew it was only about fifteen minutes, but it felt like days. When the bird came into view after what felt like those many days, I stepped back and I gave the bird room to morph into his human self. And there he was. The black hair and black eyes. He walked around and turned his back to me.

"I never realized how hot it can be to  fly for so long. It sure does work up a sweat." Ross said, taking off his leather jacket, followed by his black tee shirt.

My eyes landed on the artwork on his back. The black design of feathered wings that travelled from the center of his back to his elbows. 

"Your wings." I said to him.

He turned and looked at me, confused. 

"I'm human, I don't have wings." He said.

I rolled  my eyes and walked over to him. I grabbed his hands and dragged him to my vanity. I turned his back to the mirror.

"Look, Ross." I told him.

He looked back at the mirror and became immediately obsessed with the giant wings on his back. I heard a snap come from outside my window.

"Narcissa." I whispered. 

I ran to my window and there was the woman in a black dress standing in front of my house.

"Cissy!" I called only quiet enough so my mother wouldn't be able to hear form downstairs.

Narcissa looked up at me and waved. 

"Hello darling. Are you ready to go?" She asked me.

I quickly nodded and left the window. 

"Get your clothes back on, we're leaving." I told Ross. 

He nodded and put on his tee shirt and leather jacket. We walked out of my room and downstairs. 

"Mother, Ross and I are going outside for a little bit." I told my mother, who was now in the lounge reading a book. 

"What will you be doing?" She asked me.

I had to think quickly.

"I brought my wizards chess board. I thought we could get some fresh air and play some chess." Ross told my mother.

I looked at him, and sure enough, he was holding a chess board.

"Alright, just be back in for dinner." Mother nodded.

We walked over to the front door. I put on my black flats. 

"Ross, where did you get the board?" I asked him. 

 "I found it on a side table on our way downstairs." He said, placing it on the ground.

We walked outside and quickly over to Narcissa. I threw my arms around the woman who was the closest I had ever had to a mother. I let go of her and he studied my face.

"You grew, you look older than you did the last time I saw you." She told me. 

"I thought you looked a little shorter." I joked.

She looked over at Nusaeross and looked back at me. 

"I didn't know I was traveling with two people." She said. 

Nusaeross held his hand out to her.

"Ross, I'm Raven's messenger." He introduced himself. 

"The bird?" She asked, shaking his hand.