Chapter 1

"Destiny, it's just... you've been breaking down these past cases. I'm sure there's gonna be plenty more like this one ahead. I just can't have you damaging yourself." Sarah calmly explained to me. I sat with my arms crossed over my stomach and my back against the leather chair. I looked down and shook my head, scoffing.

"Damaging myself? I'm not damaging myself, Sarah!" I snapped at her sitting up and pointing to the crying parents of the little girl who was so carelessly murdered just hours before. "I'm concerned. Yeah, I had a break down, but have you thought about the factors to that? If not, let me enlighten you!" I sneered and stood up and snatched the files that were between the cushion and arm of the chair. I tossed the three files on her desk.

"I haven't been home in a fucking week. I'm in the same clothes from seven, maybe eight days ago. I'm using a public shower that has hot water between six and six-thirty in the morning. I sleep an hour, maybe two if I'm lucky on a goddamned swivel chair. I haven't been able to see my boyfriend. I haven't had a decent meal in a week. What the vending machine has? Are my meals for the day.

"So forgive me, Sarah. I don't get the luxury of going home each day at the end of my shift and relax. I've had three cases, two happened just hours apart. I had to examine three different crime scenes, harass several different suspects, and question even more witnesses because the damn crew you have up here? Can't do shit!"

Sarah stared at me, no emotion whatsoever. She seemed unaffected and it had pissed me off even more.

"My aunt has an empty apartment you can live in. Its livable-"

I scoffed and pushed myself away from her desk and turned around, rubbing my index and middle fingers on my temple to sooth the oncoming headache.

"I paid for a good cleaning of the place. New wallpaper, new appliances, new furniture. It's all being set up as we speak." Sarah continued and I sighed, knowing there was no way I could weasel myself out of this one.

I kept my back to her, crossing my left arm over my stomach, holding my right elbow as I played with the necklace my boyfriend had given me. I closed my eyes at the thought of him, but opened them again as I looked at the parents.

"Des, you've got amazing talents. London could really use you. The man you'll be working for is excited to meet you. We've sent him cases you've done, and he's in disbelief that you're only 25." Sarah said as she stood beside me, looking at the parents as well. "We'll finish this case, you go home-"

"I already beat you to it. It's in the case file. The team I sent out should be back any second with your man." I quipped as I turned and left her side, grabbing my coat and snatching an empty file box.

"Only you could solve a case the same day it's handed to you." She remarked and I laughed dryly as I stepped past her.

"On certain days, yes. And that's why you'll regret this decision." I remarked and opened the door to her office and walked out, heading towards my desk.

I placed my jacket over the back of my chair and sat down. I set the box on the desk and leaned back. I looked around the room, slowly flicking my gaze from person to person and just observing.

"You're doing that nail thing again, Hermosa." Valentina said from beside me and I jumped a little, startled. I felt my hand near my mouth, I wasn't chewing on my thumb nail, but was letting my teeth graze it. I chuckled and pulled my hand from my mouth, wiping my nail on my pants.

"What's up, Darling?" I asked as I turned the chair towards her. She nodded to the box, questions coming through her mind so fast that they were practically audible.