Chapter Thirty-Three: Discrimination

Irene sat up in bed beside Seulgi, yawning and stretching

Irene sat up in bed beside Seulgi, yawning and stretching. Her hair was so messy and she felt as if she were being kicked awake. She took the brush from her backpack and ran it on her hair, undoing the knots that had settled on it and making it neater. She tied it all up in a bun and started readying the clothes she would change into after she bathed.

She and Seulgi had already planned what would happen today: they were going to visit Irene's mom Sandara in the suite and then do what they liked. Mr. D had (surprisingly) allowed them a whole-day break from camp activities so that they could rest.

Irene folded a light blue t-shirt and a pair of jeans. She placed the folded stack on the desk, and began preparing her toiletries to take a bath.

"Joohyun" was the long drawled-out version of her name that came out of Seulgi's mouth.

She looked at the bed, and grinned at the girl. "Good morning, Seul."

She laughed at Seulgi's dishevelled hair and the sleepy look on her face. She pinched her cheek gently and stood up.

"Joohyun, I'm so sore," whimpered Seulgi. Her arms caught around the daughter of Ares' waist.

Irene erupted into laughter. She caressed Seulgi's back. "Want me to make you sore again?"

Seulgi blushed, covering her face with her hands. "Joohyun, I—"

"Shh, come here and let me comb your hair."

Irene sat on the bed and took the comb from the pocket of her backpack. She dutifully combed Seulgi's messy knotted hair, easing the teeth of the comb through tough places and undoing the knots. Doing stuff like these always made her happy; she felt that she was someone useful if she did them.

She lost herself while she combed, only focusing on the hair. She combed and combed till Seulgi's hair was free from the knots and looked acceptably decent.

"Done," she said, a final tone in her voice.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Do you want to eat breakfast?"

Seulgi's face turned red again.

"What's the matter?" Irene asked. She pocketed the comb and patted Seulgi's hair to smoothen it out.

"Sometimes I feel guilty because you're so kind to me," confessed Seulgi. "You cleaned the lava pit for me, take care of me when I was sick, give food when I have none, and help me do things when I can't. I feel a little bad since I can't return the favor." Her monolids danced with gratefulness, and Irene could only kiss her forehead.