Chapter Twelve: Fortune Cookies

Thanks to @xxInAHeartbeatxx for making this character aesthetic!

****
A

fter Seulgi had explained Irene what had happened and answered her questions, Irene requested the driver to pause the taxi so she could buy a balnket for Seulgi. The driver stopped at a pharmacy store and Irene stole two blankets from an aisle.

The blanket with bears on them was for Seulgi and the one with the purple bunnies was Irene's.

By the time Irene exited the pharmacy store, it was already 7:00. The night was dark, but the moon and the streetlights provided enough light for Irene to see properly. Parents watched as their kids ran about in front of them, and a grandmother sat on a rocking chair knitting a bonnet.

Irene took interest in the grandmother. The elderly woman had white hair and a loose-fitted dress with green-and-yellow patterns on them. Her hands were old and wrinkled, but they worked tediously over the half-knitted bonnet in her lap.

The grandma looked up at her, and Irene saw that, from her face, that she was Korean. The grandmother smiled at her.

"Do you like my bonnet?" the grandmother asked in a hoarse but gentle voice. She raised the bonnet, which was light purple.

"It's very nice, ma'am," said Irene. She wasn't lying though; she was amazed at how old and weak hands could create such an accurate shape of a white rabbit design on the bonnet.

She was also relieved to have the grandmother speak Korean to her.

The old woman was sitting in her rocking chair just outside her bungalow. The bungalow looked tidy and nice, but it seemed as if the grandmother lived alone. A tall tree rose from the backyard, spreading its brown branches to shield the house with its leaves when it rained.

In front of the grandmother was a white table in a circular shape. Placed on the top of the table was a saucer and teacup. There was another floral teacup across the table, as if the grandma was expecting a visitor to come.