Chapter Thirty: Home Sweet Home

It was eleven in the evening, and Irene was still awake

It was eleven in the evening, and Irene was still awake. She didn't feel tired anyway.

She had volunteered to take first watch. Ever since the remaining Allies of Kronos had tried to kill them, she figured it would be safer if someone kept watch. Tomorrow night (the eighth day), Taeyeon would take second watch. Then on the night of her birthday, if they still had not returned to camp, Hermes will take his turn.

It was the eighth day already in Korea since it was five in the morning there. She should hurry up.

Taeyeon was slumped against her pegasus, eyes closed. She had still not made up with Irene, and vice versa. Irene wished she was not too proud to apologize, and that Taeyeon wasn't as well.

Hermes was sleeping too. His cap was covered over his face.

Seulgi was leaning on her pegasus like Taeyeon, the reins over her body to keep her from falling. Her hair was tied up into a ponytail to cool her and the sleeves of her sweater were rolled up. She looked tired, and Irene attempted magicking away the tired look on the younger's face by tracing her fingers quietly on her face.

"Seulgi," said Irene softly. "You're so lovely, do you know that? You're so adorable. And you're so innocent and beautiful and soft. I love you so much."

Seulgi was so deep in slumber that she only sleep-talked in response.

Irene laughed a little. Laughing felt really good right now; it had been so hard to do so during the days she had been so battered.

The atmosphere was comforting too. The quiet flapping of the wings of the pegasus and the faint glimmer of the stars in the sky contributed to that. The sky was a very dark hue of blue and the wind blew on her face.

"I see you've taken first watch."

Irene's hand fell to the gun on her hip. Who said that?

Oh, it was only Taeyeon.

Taeyeon's voice was hoarse as she talked. Irene wondered if she had cried.

"Yeah, I have," she said. "I mean, with us almost dying in the night, someone has to do it. Have you slept?"

"That's none of your—" Taeyeon stopped herself. "Y-Yeah, I did. I just woke up."

Irene nodded, understanding. There were plenty of times she had found it hard to be kind too over the smallest of reasons.

Then she remembered what she was supposed to do. She cleared her throat, face red in humiliation, and tried to apologize.

"Taeyeonie, I know we were both really childish when we fought. So I'm sorry for being harsh with you; honestly, I was just worried. I never meant to say horrible words. Just—you know—I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too, Joohyun. It was really childish." Taeyeon bit her lip and looked down. "I was proud and embarrassed."

Irene didn't know what to do. They both sounded so ridiculous. Should she get angry and fume or cry?