Hospital Waiting Room

Bette paced up and down the room, she couldn't keep still, Tina had been in surgery for hours now, she'd lost track of time. The whole evening had turned from joyful to horrific in a moment. A police officer had explained that Claire had been bailed that morning. It had taken her less than twenty four hours to get a gun and try and kill Tina and kill herself.

"Baby girl," Bette looked up as Kit, her sister walked in, the moment Bette saw her, she dissolved into tears, tears she'd been holding back.

Kit opened her arms and let her sister crumbled into them, Bette held onto her, crying hard. her emotions overtaking her. Kit just held her sister, letting her get all her emotions out.

"How is she doing do you know?" Kit asked,

"She's in surgery. Erm," Bette wiped her eyes and sat with Kit. "They said she was internally bleeding and they needed to remove the bullet. She was just taking the fucking trash out Kit. That's all. We'd had a meal, we were cleaning up and then I heard the shot, Claire was just standing over her, watching her bleed." Bette shook her head, she had already gone over this with the police.

"Why was she even out?"

"Someone posted her bail this morning. They didn't say who."

Bette rubbed her chin, she was trying to stay as calm as possible, which was easier said than done.

"She's going to be okay," Kit said,

"Kit, Tina is shy, like she's almost inside her own shell shy. She was just starting to find herself, this is going to push her right back."

"Emotionally she will need to be looked after, and physically for a while but you will both get through this. you have each other," Kit said, "I've never seen you like this Bette, you love her. I hope she loves you just as much."

"She does." Bette admitted. "Kit this is a mess,"

"It will get better, I hate to speak ill of the dead but now she's dead you can both move on, she's scared your life's and she's going to leave a scar now on Tina's body but you both have to come through this, with love and commitment you will."

"I've offered to move with her," Bette said, she hadn't told Kit yet.

"To her place, that Claire burnt to the ground?"

"Yeah she wants to rebuild on it, design her own house, our own house. This happening tonight has only made me want to move her out sooner. She hates the city." Bette said slowly.

Kit smiled at her sister,

"You really do love her,"

"I do,"

"Then do what is right for the two of you. I'm guessing she's been working on pieces for the show?"

"Yeah the studio that I build for Jodi has got some use out of it. some of the pieces are stunning. She's a brilliant painter and drawer. She's got a very unique talent. She gave up being a lawyer to be a painter. I feel the murder of her Mom and dad had more to do with it."

"Do you think Claire had something to do with that?" Kit asked,

"I thought so when Tina told me. I've not said it to her. I don't know why Claire would do it unless he thought that it would bring Tina closer to her. Tina's parents weren't poor. Tina was an only child. I got James to do a little digging and Tina's net worth is more than I expected, she's put it all in trusts apart from buying the land, she wants to make it as a painter without having money to sit on. she's got very different values to anyone I've ever meet. Jodi was all about money and fame and her art. Tina is simply about a simple life and art. That's all she wants. She's remarkable."

Before kit could answer the door opened and a doctor in green scrubs walked in.

"Ms Porter,"

Bette stood,

"Hi,"

"Hi, I'm Dr Thompson, I've just operated on Ms Kennard,"

"How is she?"

"Maybe we should sit down,"

Bette looked confused but sat down with the doctor.

"What's going on?"

"Tina was shot in her lower abdomen, which caused her to have internal bleeding, we have managed to remove the bullet and the fragments from her and stopped all the bleeding."

"Is she going to be okay?"

"Yes, lucky the bullet didn't hit anything that could do lasting damage. She's very lucky. She should make a full recovery."

"Thank goodness, erm when can I see her?"

"We're just getting her settled into ICU, her insurance as put her in a private room, so as soon as everything is hooked up a member of the nursing team will come and take you too her, okay?"

"Yeah thank you,"

The doctor smiled and left. Bette took a deep breath.

"A private room, what kind of insurance does Tina have?"

"The best," Bette replied. "she has a black card in her wallet which I know is for very expensive health insurance I think her father insisted on it." Bette said slowly. she got up, she was full of nervous energy,

"At least she's okay,"

"She's lucky, Claire could have left her a lot worse."

"I think it's not the physical you are going to have to worry about Bette,"

"I know,"

"She wasn't mentally able to cope with life before she's going to be worse now. Are you sure you're up for this?"

"What are you saying Kit?"

"It's a lot to put on you,"

"Kit, listen to me, okay. Tina is a twenty-seven year old woman who I'm very much in love with. The moment I walked into her garage there was spark of something that I can't explain. I'm in love with her. I will do anything to make her life and my life better. I want to be with her. between you and fucking Alice is seems you want us to stop. Well it's not happening. For the first time in my life I've fucking happy. I'm allowed to be me, I'm allowed to ensure being me. Tina doesn't judge me or put false flags on me. she actually has taken the time to get to know me. she enjoys my company. God Kit she even offered to teach me to cook."

Kit laughed.

"As long as you're ready. Mental health issues, which to me it seems Tina has are hard on the partner."

"I know, I do. please trust me I know."

Kit nodded. She hugged her sister,

"Then I will stand with you."

"Thank you Kit."

Bette looked up as a nurse walked in and smiled. Bette knew she was going to see her woman now. she took one last look at Kit before following the nurse.