Work

Tina slowly pushed Xavier's stroller towards Bette's Gallery. She had been in the city for a doctor's appointment, she picked up for lunch and was now on her way to see her wife. She opened the door to gallery and pushed Xavier into the gallery and smiled at the walls which were currently covered in colourful abstract art. Tina slowly walked around the paintings with Xavier who was sleeping. She was enjoying seeing some other art.

"Enjoying yourself there Ms Kennard," Bette's voice came from behind her.

Tina smiled, she turned and took in her wife.

"The art is amazing,"

"Yeah it's a group show. Five different artists. We are trying to sell them but it's not going great," Bette admitted

"Why not?"

"They are not big names and even Peggie doesn't want them."

"I've had an email from Peggie this morning," Tina said smiling softly

"About?" Bette asked as she picked up Xavier who had opened his eyes and was looking around.

"She' made an offer for Lonely Nights,"

"The 8footx8food finger painting?"

"Yes, she has a new house and wants it in the hallway, and don't call finger painting, it's an abstract piece of art,"

"I know sorry I shouldn't have said finger painting. Hey buddy," She kissed his head and showed him the pictures and he giggled at the bight colours.

"You've not asked how much she offered." Tina said.

"I've also not asked how your hospital appointment. How was that?"

"It was good, my levels are even. I'm okay." Tina said smiling as Xavier reached for her. Tina took him and kissed him.

"That's good, no Peggy?"

"Can we go into your office, I've brought you lunch,"

"Yeah sure, you better have some lunch for you too,"

"I do." Tina smiled as Bette took control of the stroller and they went into her large office she took out the salads, as Tina sat down with Xavier on her knee.

"So Peggy?" Bette asked as they started eating

"She's offered me $550,000, for that piece and she'd like to commission me to do another piece she wants a series of pencil drawings."

"How much is she willing to pay for the set?"

"She wants a set of five pencil drawings. She has photos she would like me to sit and draw."

"You going to tell me about the cash?" Bette smiled

Tina grinned,

"The set of five is going to be just over $1.2 million as each piece is $250,000"

"You took the job?"

"Yes of course I did." Tina laughed. "I know we don't need the money, I just need to restart my career."

"Just not too quickly, we need to keep your levels even," Bette said looking serious.

"I know, I know Bette, my health, our family, us mean the world to me but I need to do other things."

"You're my world, I just want what is best for you,"

"I know, but too much talk about money," Tina said smiling,

"Good point. I'm very proud of you," Bette grinned

"I'm proud of you,"

Tina finished her salad and started playing with Xavier, Bette watched for a moment. She couldn't help but smile. She had never seen herself with a family but here she was. She was a wife, a mother and she couldn't love her life anymore than she did. She never expected to be this in love but she knew her wife and son were her world.

****

Bette was closing up the gallery for the night when the door opened. She looked up and saw Alice stood there,

"You do know you're breaking your restraining order," Bette said slowly

"I think we need to talk," Alice said, looking at Bette.

"Well we will do it here,"

"Can't we sit down,"

"No, I'd rather stay here," Knowing everything would be picked up on the CCTV system, if anything happened,

"Fine, erm, we can't throw our friendship away."

"Too late for that Alice, seriously. You've shit on me and my wife."

"I was jealous, I love our friendship,"

"No, that was more than jealously," Bette said, "You called my wife crazy. She's not crazy."

"I know, I know she has mental health issues, Kit has rammed that one into my head,"

"No one should have to ram it down your throat. Alice you've blown it. You've made me and my wife feel bad, you've got people talking behind our backs. You've hurt us and it's creepy,"

"I'm sorry,"

"Too little too late,"

"Are you saying our friendship is completely over?"

"Yes, Alice," Bette said slowly. "Look you brought this on yourself."

"I know I did I want to make it right,"

"You can't, not right now. You need to leave,"

"I know, I knew I shouldn't come,"

Alice turned and left. Bette took a deep breath. she reached for her phone and called the number she had. She advised that Alice had broken the terms of her order. It scared her a little that Alice keep coming to her. She took out her phone again and called Shane,

"Hey Shane...yeh I'm good...we need to talk, do you wanna come to ours for dinner, yeah that's great see ya then."
Bette put the phone down and phone Tina, she explained everything before locking up the gallery and then heading home.