Chapter 4

Cassidy was relieved that the baby gate to the living room was unlocked and open. She stepped into their living room, her mind flashing back to the first time she had been there.

Cassidy was excited to meet her new neighbors. Her heart was racing as she knocked on the door. A man opened the door, his hair a dark brown color and his eyes were hazel. Cassidy hadn't known who he was quite yet, but it should have been obvious back then he was Mr. Wolf. She had constantly berated herself after the fact once she knew who it was, his face had seemed familiar.

"Can I help you?" Mr. Wolf asked with a frown. His face always seemed to hold a frown unless he was talking to or about his wife.

"Right. I'm your new neighbor, I just moved in next door. I just though I should introduce myself," Cassidy explained nervously as she picked at her nail polish.

"Yes well now isn't the best time. We have company over," Mr. Wolf said.

"Alright, I'm sorry. I had no idea," Cassidy said as she looked away. "I'll just leave then," she said.

"Who's at the door?" A female's voice as a woman's face peeked over his shoulder. Her hair was short, blonde and curled. Her eyes were green and she had freckles dotting her nose and cheeks.

"This is our new neighbor, she was just leaving," Mr. Wolf said.

"So soon? I haven't even gotten to meet her Markus," Mrs. Wolf frowned at her husband.

"We have company over Lillian," Mr. Wolf reminded.

"And they wouldn't mind. Most of them live on this road or the next one anyway so it'd be good for them to meet someone new in our neighborhood," Mrs. Wolf said.

"Fine, come in them," Mr. Wolf said as he turned his attention back to Cassidy who had just been standing there awkwardly.

"Alright,"  Cassidy said as Mr. Wolf moved aside to allow her in. She hesitantly stepped inside their house.

Mrs. Wolf smiled as she guided Cassidy to the living room. "This is our new neighbor," she said. "I never actually got your name," she murmured to Cassidy.

"Cassidy Lance," a woman said as she stood up. Cassidy froze at the sound of the woman's voice.

"She's a Lance?" Someone else murmured making Cassidy nervous.

"Mrs. Lee, it's been a while," Cassidy said softly. She looked at the older woman with a small smile.

"Yes it certainly has been," Mrs. Lee said as she made her way over to Cassidy. "Especially since I thought you'd swore you'd never come back," Mrs. Lee pointed out.

"My parents asked me to return," Cassidy stated simply. "They're looking to retire," she said.

"Your parents haven't done enough to retire and why would you need to come back for that? It's not like they're giving you their firm," Mrs. Lee said before her eyes widened. "No Cassidy, please tell me that's not why you came back," she said.

"It is. My brother refused it and I'm the only one who's left to take over," Cassidy said.

"You're nineteen Cassidy. You're still in college. Their firm is failing and you know nothing of running a business nor do you know anything about law," Mr. Lee pointed out.

"I know but my parents are counting on me. I feel like I can do this and if I don't then oh well. I'll sell everything and go back to working and going to college," Cassidy said.

Cassidy blinked out of the flashback when she felt a hand touch her shoulder. "You alright Cassidy?" Mrs. Wolf said.

"Yeah, I just zoned out," Cassidy smiled apologetically at the older woman.

"Well go sit down, I'm sure you're starving for an apple tart," Mrs. Wolf said.

"Yeah I am M-Lillian," Cassidy corrected herself as she went to sit on the couch. She was surprised to see the couch was covered in blankets.

"Sorry I don't want crumbs all on the couch cushions," Mrs. Wolf explained as she set the plate of apple tarts down on the table.

"Yeah I get that. I don't really worry about that at my place though because Diego is always on my couch," Cassidy shrugged while sitting on the couch.

"Ah yes, how is Diego? I haven't seen him a while," Mrs. Wolf said.

"He's good, just stuck in a rut of being inside or in his outdoor kennel. He keeps trying to find a female to mate with and I didn't want him to somehow get to Rosabelle and Burma," Cassidy replied.

"Ah yes well I thank you for that. They're purebred german shepherds with feisty attitudes," Mrs. Wolf chuckled.

"Yeah, I figured Diego would get his ass kicked if he tried anything," Cassidy said.

"Yes, he probably would," Mrs. Wolf said as she raised an eyebrow slightly when Cassidy swore. "Now what movie do you want to watch?" She asked sitting by Cassidy.

"Balto please," Cassidy said as she rested her head on Mrs. Wolf's shoulder.

"Of course darling," Mrs. Wolf smiled as she grabbed the remote and turned on the t.v. She searched for a bit before putting Balto on.

"Apple tart please?" Cassidy asked.

"Of course darling," Mrs. Wolf said as reached out and grabbed the plate, pulling the apple tarts close.

Cassidy grabbed one and started nibbling on it with a small smile. "Thank you," she said glancing up at Mrs. Wolf.

"You're welcome," Mrs. Wolf smiled down at her.