Run-Away Princess (Chapter 2)

Chapter 2

I stood in front of my father in his throne room. My eyes blazing through his like a small candle in a black forest. He had gotten up from the throne and was now pacing, lecturing me and Lydia, who stood beside me.

I didn't care much listening wise, I had flashed back to the 2 people I had helped. Why had they come? Who were they? The only thing I knew was that they were definitely Narnian. The thoughts rushed in my head, I had never seen a Narnian, not in my whole life. Why did they show up now? Was something happening between Narnia and Ginia that my father had never mentioned to me?

"Cassandra...Cassandra...CASSANDRA!" came the angry voice that broke my thoughts. I looked up at my father, who must have finally realized I hadn't been paying attention. Lydia glared at me, but my father glanced at her. "Lydia you may go."  With that she left the room.

"Cassandra, how could you betray me?" he asked me with that all knowing look on his face. I felt a sharp retort in my mouth like a gerbil; it was fighting to get out. The agony in keeping it back was suffocating my inmost being. -The way you betrayed your mother Nation! The way you betrayed Narnia!!-

"I'm sorry father. I don't know what came over me." I said simply, even though I was stabbing my own heart with these words.

My father looked at me; I thought I could see two pools of sympathy in his eyes. But then Saraphina snapped in, "She must be punished. Her behavior shall not be tolerated in this kingdom." I glared at her, my father's eyes quickly hardened too.

"One week. Farm hands. You report after mid-day each day to the West stables." he announced, then signaled for his guard to escort me out of his throne room.

As I was pushed out, I felt my heart thump heavily, -After mid-day!- When the moon rose Lydia would have a tail! How could I protect her from half a mile away? The West stables had over 200 horses and only 20 Farm hands. I could never finish in time to be here before sunset.

(~.~)

Lydia's POV

I sat in the tub as usual, and my tail poked out of the end. Cassandra had ordered I stay in our room after sunset each day of her punishment. It was torture. I was so bored with being in his tub all day. The punishment ad been given 5 days ago though. It was almost done and soon I could get back to my life.

I opened the book I had propped up beside the tub. It was called, "The Kings and Queens of Narnia." I had never seen this book before; Cassandra had bought from some man selling loads of literature at the West Stables. He was probably some merchant.

I opened the book and saw the first. 'High King Peter the Magnificent.' It had dozens of facts; he had a special sword and shield. His characteristics, how is age was unknown? He had family too.

I ignored that part and flipped the page it landed on a handsome gentleman with brown hair and brown eyes, I let my eyes flow over to the title, 'King Caspian X'. He had a son named Rilian, he was also King after his father. I continued to look through the book; Narnia was getting more fascinating by the minute.

I suddenly stopped on one page, a face that I recognized in great clarity. The title read, 'King Edmund the Just'. Looking at the picture, I remembered the same black hair and dark eyes. The same light skin tone and the same...stare, the stare from only...5 days ago.

(~.~)

Cassandra's POV

I felt anger in my chest as I stomped through the castle covered in horse dung. These days of being a farm hand is what I define cruel and unusual punishment as. My favorite brown, moccasin boots were covered in the slime. I opened the door to my room and slammed it behind me. Lydia was in bed her tail easily outlined in the frail sheets.