Training and Fighting are different (Chapter 16)

Chapter 16

As soon as dawn broke I was out of bed, I shook myself and splashed water in my face. I hadn't slept all night...How could I? Would you be able to sleep if the day that determined your entire self worth came?

Didn't think so.

 I braided my hair back, not one hair out of place. I carefully chose a scarlet, silk battle suit specifically made for females, the medal lining covering every sensitive place in the suit. I grabbed my sword from the shaft, the new sword, it was beautifully crafted, the blade more deadly then a witch's curse.

I strapped on my black, leather boots, and headed out to the field.

When I got there, there was a strange vibe. No one was moving and no one talked. Everyone was ready for battle...you could see it in there eyes.

Obviously some were more focused then others, but those with more experience would have more control. The only thing bothering me was the final result of all this.

I walked onto the training beach, my regiment didn't leave until 5. That gave me about 8 hours to train and rest up for the battle.

As I walked up the back of the training beach, I heard yelling, and not good yelling.

It was Henry underneath Edmund, Edmund was trying to gash Henry with a dagger. I ran down before anything else could happen and screamed, "Edmund! Get off him!"

Edmund looked up at me, giving Henry a chance to kick him off. Henry rolled onto his stomach and jumped to his feet. He looked as shocked as I was.

"What the HELL do you think your doing?!" I demanded, pushing my way forward and slamming my hands against Edmund's chest. He moved back a step but held my gaze with great intensity.

Lydia stepped out of the shadows, her eyes were watering up and I looked at her, though not leaving my position in front of Edmund.

"He...attacked me..." she said, her voice quaking in fear.

I turned to Henry, "Why?"

Henry looked at Lydia, his gaze was a mixture of pain and sheer hatred. "Tell her?" he said softly.

"He saw me kissing Edmund." came the words that I thought would only come from Juliet or Helena's mouth.

I felt my words get stuck in my throat so I couldn't speak, but that was nothing compared to the hatred and pain welling deep inside me.

Lydia...the one that was always there, the one I could count on 100% of the time. How could she do this?

She could obviously tell I was seeking the truth, "We were just...training..a"

I cut her off before she could get another word in, "Well why don't we try less lip training and more battle training."

My cold words made me shiver, I walked away from the mess, Henry had run along beside me, but later run off towards the blacksmith tent.

I felt alone again...almost instantly.

But I shrugged it off like none of it matter.

---

I trained with Lucy until mid-day, then I took my leave to the food tent. The only thing on my mind was something to fuel my energy for the battle.

The only thing on my mind seemed to blot out my whole system. I felt my anxiety get the better of me, so I headed into the pine forest. It was a little after mid-day, the sun was still high.

I could hear the yelling from the camp not too far off.

The serenity of  the forest gave me a much needed peace. I sank to the floor and closed my eyes, letting myself doze off.

I woke up in a forest, it was dark, the forest gloomy. I jumped up, why was it so dark?

I couldn't have missed the battle...

I suddenly saw the golden lion, I'd seen so often run by, I got up and ran after him, "Wait! Aslan!"

I ran after him, the dark trees scratching along my legs and arms, I could feel the darkness closing in.

"Aslan!"

I couldn't see him anywhere now, all I could see where dark trees ahead of me.

I tripped in a hard fall, and landed on the cold floor. I looked up and saw something...that changed everything...

Lydia's POV

Lucy and I walked back from target practice it was about 1:00 pm, and I was meant to be ready soon, but I just couldn't. I'd made so many mistakes these past few days.

I hadn't meant to kiss Edmund...it just happened. I missed having a close friend, like Henry or Cassandra, and maybe I just got to carried away.

I hadn't seen Cassandra since she insulted me back on the beach. I couldn't help wondering where she was. Everything about her changed when we came out here. She had more of a goal then just protecting me like most of our lives had been.

We were individuals here, but it seemed hard for her to fit in, and I didn't want loyalties to be torn, so I swore loyalty to Narnia. Not to her.

The best choice I had made though, was leaving Ginia. No matter what was going on, I knew I could have never been happy there just being known as the crippled princess.

My tail hadn't been a problem lately, since I had a long stone tub like thing in my tent so I could sleep.

Many of the Narnians talked to me like I was one of them. It was something I'd never experienced before. I didn't want to lose that.

"...Lydia." came the voice from behind me.

I turned, and saw Henry, "Oh...Hi Henry." I mumbled.

How could I speak to him now?

After this whole mess?

"I came here to apologize...I overreacted." Henry reddened, then looked and me and smiled.

"I was very jealous."

"Thank you, Henry." I blushed. "But if you want me to 'like' you, you should be more confident."

"Oh...no...well I don't want you to 'like' me."  he replied.

My heart sunk.

"I just want to be friends..." he murmured awkwardly.

I looked at him, trying to hide the pain, "Why?"

"Because you obviously need time to adjust about this whole Narnia thing, which is understandable, but...I can't just be something you come back to when you want to.." he added, regaining a bit of his confidence.

"But your...I understand...and I'm sorry..." I sighed looking down at my feet.

Then I looked up at him, my eyes to crystal pools of blue, "Be careful out there today..."

He stared back at me a long while before saying, "I...will."

I kept staring, because he didn't move. After a while I knew we'd been staring at each other for at least 2 minutes.

So I leaned in and pecked his lips with mine.

I knew that wasn't appropriate after our discussion, but it only seemed fair.

After I kissed him, I got up and left him there staring out into the distance.

Even though he didn't look mad....more at peace.