XIII. Need*

"The best time to make friends
is before you need them."

- Ethel Barrymore

★°°•°°★

★°°•°°★

SEOKJIN

When was the last time a friend was not there for me?

Some people have lots of friends. Enough to fill a bus. But perhaps, in those lots, only a number stayed during their darkest times. Only a few whom they can fully trust. You called them friends, but where are those lots when you need them? Admit it, only a number will never hesitate to come to you when you call them. And that number is the one you can call real. The others? Well, only 'fillers'. Just so people will tell you that you are 'friendly'.

I used to be like that. It's them who wanted me because I am a famous student. But the truth, they were all fake. They only need me so they will be closer to their football player crush. Using me for their gain. I learned from there. I learned that it's better to have a friend who is more real than to have a lot but is all fake.

I was 18 when I run away from home, well, not really as I went to the apartment my father bought for me. I can still remember the reason why I did that. It's still fresh. It feels like yesterday.

Yoongi came for me, I told him what happened and all he did was hug and comfort me. He was 26 then. Though we have an 8 year age gap, our personalities just jibe. I treated him as my best friend. Someone who can sit with you and listen to you while you cry. Someone who listens to my silence. The real one I am talking about. And no, we have no romantic whatsoever feelings for each other.

His father was my father's best friend. We knew each other since we were kids. Since we both do not have a sibling, we treated each other as such. I can say that he looked after me in my entire elementary life.

But his father sent him to Europe to continue his studies. I was 8 and he was 16. He used to send me handwritten letters because I'm not allowed to use the internet during that time. But when I reached my teenage years, I started to connect with him through emails and video calls. He came back here four years ago just in time when my father died. Just in time before I experienced hell in my life.

When was the last time a friend was not there for me?

The answer is none.

Today is a bad day. Not because Mr. Kim scolded me, but because Mr. Kim had an emergency client call. He left early and was out the whole day. But I'm glad I was able to give the coffee I ordered for him and the sandwich I made for him.

I miss him. He called just to tell me that I can go home early because he will go straight home after the client call. So I decided to call for Yoongi.