X. Deceits*

"It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit."

- Noël Coward, Blithe Spirit

★°°•°°★

★°°•°°★

SEOKJIN

Truth hurts.

Are we tired of hearing those words? Such a cliche. Overused. But it's so true. Perhaps, the saying itself hurts because it's true.

We hate hearing the truth. Especially when the truth is about us. Isn't it ironic how we find fault in others but hate it when others find fault in us? I guess we are born hypocrites. We hate being criticized. We hate being corrected. But we love to criticize. We love to correct others. But we refuse to accept our wrongs.

But you know what's even more ironic? We love hearing praises. Praises we don't even know if real especially when we know that we are no good. We refuse to know the hidden meaning behind those compliments because we love hearing them. But the truth, those praises are full of lies and deceits. Intentionally deceiving us so they can get something in return.

Everyone is bowing at Mr. Kim as we walk to the conference room. This is my first time to be attending a very important meeting. Linda is proactive in that she wrote some pointers for me to remember while in a meeting. I'm glad I can put everything in my head before we head to the board meeting.

A lot of praises can be heard when we finally enter the room. It's full of middle-aged men. Then, there are numbers of middle-aged and perhaps, in their early 30's, mostly women, sitting around the room. Their chairs against the wall while the men, I assumed to be the member of the boards, are seated around the conference table.

"Good afternoon Mr. Kim." They all stand up and bow at my handsome boss. "You have a new assistant."

Mr. Kim smiled as he looked at me. I gave him a reassuring smile. I am always confident. I think I should especially now that the eyes of the women assistants are glaring at me, raising an eyebrow at me and rolling their eyes at me. It's funny how women their age still act childish.

"This is my new assistant, Kim Seokjin. You can call him whenever you have concerns."

I bowed a little after Mr. Kim introduced me. I can already tell who among the boards will approach me later or soon. Their gaze, their smirk, and their body language are so obvious.

Part of the attendees is Jungkook. He is the Vice-Chairman, no wonder why he's there. Honestly, Jungkook is a cool guy. At his age and position, he still acts as someone easy to get along with. Unlike the other executives who look serious. I smiled when he winks at me and I noticed how his assistant frowned. A delightful sight to see when they are getting annoyed just from my presence.

"Shall we start?" Mr. Kim announced before signaling me to start the presentation.

Watching Mr. Kim do the presentation made me fall for him even more. He carries himself with so much class and confidence. The way he speaks each word is already evidence that he knows what he's talking about. That no matter how many times the board tries to interfere and made him appear unknowledgeable, he can shut them down effortlessly.

That's my man. Smart. Hot. Full of composure.

I left Mr. Kim with the boards. I excuse myself to breathe some fresh air. I don't like how those middle-aged men were looking at me. They were looking at me from head to foot. They were talking to Mr. Kim but eyeing me.

"Don't you ever think that you're privileged because you're the Chairman's assistant?" A woman, as far as I can remember, is Jungkook's assistant, said with an angry stare.

I stared back. "What are you talking about?"

She laughed. An apparent sound of mockery laced in her laugh. "You're trying to appear innocent but I know you know what I am talking about."

I am starting to get annoyed by the way she sounded. She's looking down on me.

"It's my boss who chose you."

I can feel my forehead crumpled and my brows met at the center. "What the hell are you talking about? I applied as Chairman Kim's assistant and not Mr. Jeon's."

The woman laughed again. "Of course you did. But my boss saw your resume and insisted to Chairman Kim to choose you."

I am caught-off-guard by what she said. And as the information started to sink in, I remember someone calling me that a certain Jeon Jungkook informed the Chairman that I will arrive. This woman is not lying.

"And so? What's wrong if your boss chose me? I am capable."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "It's not yet clear, isn't it? Or you're just slow?"

I think this will be the first time that I'm going to punch a woman in the face. "You came to me telling me some invalid information about my hiring process. Honestly, I don't care how I got hired. It's not who hired me. I'm here for my job. What's the big deal if Mr. Jeon chose me? Are you jealous?"

She clenched her jaw. I saw her hands formed a fist. She's annoyed. "Are you one of those men and women Mr. Jeon had a one-night stand with? That's why you're privileged?"

I chuckled. I looked at the ceiling. This talk is senseless and I hate senseless people. "And so what if I had a one-night stand with your boss? The way you talked, it seemed that you're the only one who hasn't tasted Mr. Jeon's dick."

"How dare you!"

"How dare you!" I widened my eyes at her. Walking towards her with my fist ready to swing. "Why are you so affected? Let me tell you this. I don't have a backer when I applied here. It's not my fault that I am good-looking and young and you are not. If you applied for my position but were not accepted, it means that I am more capable than you. If you're jealous of me because your boss likes me then it only means another thing, you're not visually attractive."

I smirked at her before leaving her stunned. Just in time, Mr. Kim is done chatting with his colleagues.

As we ride the elevator, what I heard from Mr. Jeon's assistant gave me mixed emotions. I am right that Mr. Jeon's praises were full of deceits. It's only because of his hidden desires that's why he's complimenting me. The fact that he's the one who chose me, I am 99% sure that it's because of how I look.

On the other hand, it felt good that Mr. Kim's praising me to be bold, techie, and organized. But somehow, he stepped on my ego. Perhaps, I felt that he rejected me. Because those praises may be true but still mean nothing to him. I am only his assistant. He's not seeing me be something more.

Well, that's for now. It only motivates me to show him that I am worthy and that I am something more.

I stared at his reflection on the elevator wall.

I vow to make you go crazy for me. Kim Taehyung.