Chapter 4

( Yay, a new chapter! Thanks for reading.~)

The question still plagued my mind. Who is Maradith? At home I jumped up on the counter, my mom turned on the coffee pot to make us some tea.

"Mom. Um, at the family reunion people kept saying I looked like a woman named Maradith...and they said she was my mother. Do you know anything about that?" I asked looking at her face, studying her reaction.

Her face grew pale and her eyes grew bigger, like saucers.

"No, I don't know anything about that." She said smiling.

"Are you sure? Because it was more than ten people that said I looked like her." I challenged.

"This is not the time to be discussing this." She said and her tone had suddenly gone from warm to cold, and distant.

"I want to know." I argued.

"Scarlett, no." She said.

"Yes, apparently this has something to do with me and I want to know what." I said standing up crossing my arms. If this regarded me I had a complete right to know.

"Fine. Do you honestly want to know?" She asked an I nodded.

"Follow me." She said turning on her heels.

My mom led me up to the attic, it was musty and dark. Faint moon light showered in from the window.

"Why are we up here?" I asked as far as I knew there was nothing in the attic.

My mom didn't reply, she pulled out a match from nowhere and lit the candles that hung on the walls illuminating the room in a orange glow. How did she see those? There were chests scattered along the ground, some open, some closed. My mom got on her knees and opened a chest, rifling through it, it was full of papers that looked old.

"Here." She said as she stood up. She handed me a old letter, the corners curled up, the parchment yellow.

"What's this?" I asked looking up at her.

"Read it." I opened the letter following her instructions.

"Corleen,

I have a favor to ask of you. This is no small favor, which I am aware of. I am asking a lot of you and I am truly sorry. But you see I am pregnant...with a girl. And I am sure without a doubt that this is the girl spoken of in the prophecy. I have even consulted with the Council to make sure that I am correct. I know she is not safe here in our world. And that her life will be in grave danger. I am asking you that you will watch over her when she is born. Be the mother I can't. You know that when she turns 18 she will change and her vampire side will re-awaken. I pray that you will forgive me for asking such a thing of you. But please...I beg you. Protect her...protect Scarlett."

As I finished reading the letter, my hands shook and I dropped the paper letting it sink to the floor. I looked at the person standing in front of me and shook my head.

"No...no." I shook my head refusing to believe anything I just read.

"Scarlett...I'm not your mother."

As I heard those words I ran. I practically jumped from the attic and hit the ground running. I was out the door in record speed. I need to think, I need to get out of here. 

I ran to the town park. At the moment it was empty, the air was cold and I didn't have a jacket. I collapsed on the bench leaning with my head in my hands. There was no way this was real. This was some prank show, there was no way that this could be real. Vampires are myths, urban legends. They can't be real.

 I suddenly began laughing. Not that small short laugh that you get when you see something funny. I was laughing hysterically. To anyone that saw me I must have looked like a crazy person. I laughed to the point my eyes watered and the tears fell down my face.

When I collected myself I stood up and walked back home. I had my arms around me as I tried to give myself some sort of warmth. When I walked in my house I was suddenly picked up in a fierce hug. It was Alex.

"Scarlett where the Hell have you been?" He exclaimed. When did he get here?

"I...I was at the park." I said, I didn't know if he knew what happened.

"Don't ever leave like that!" He said.

My "mom" walked in, her eyes already filled with tears.

"Scarlett, let me explain." She said.

I pried myself from Alex and crossed my arms.

"Fine." 

We walked into our living room and I sat down on the couch with Alex, my mom across from us. She had a fire going to counter the cold air outside. 

"Explain." I ordered causing my "mom" to sigh.

"Okay, I'm your sister. I'm not just some stranger, we're related. And I'm a vampire as well. You see mom made you live in the human world to protect you. There's a prophecy, and I'm not the one to tell you that. That's more for the Council to tell you. But you see, when you turn 18 you will become a vampire again, and I will not lie. You will be in danger. You will grow to be the most powerful vampire history has ever known, and because of that evil people will be after you...to use you. I have to call the Council and tell them that you already know. I wasn't planning on telling you, but since you know I know there's no use pretending. But I know that this is a lot to process, so that's enough for now. I hope you will forgive me." She said and I watched the tears fall down her face.

"I...I need some time alone. I'm sorry." I said as I stood and walked out of the room, retreating to my own room. I needed to sleep, I was exhausted. 

As I collapsed in my bed I heard my door open.

"Scarlett..." It was Alex.

I sat up and looked at him.

"Alex. I'm sorry."

"What for?" He asked.

"I...I don't know." 

Alex sat by me and hugged me. 

"I don't think any less of you, to me you're still Scarlett. Now sleep. I know you must be tired." He said.

I went to my bathroom and changed. When I came back out Alex was laying on my bed. I laid next to him and pulled the covers up. As soon as I closed my eyes I was out. 

"Sleep good Scarlett." I heard Alex say.

A/N: Thanks for reading guys. Please vote and comment, tell me what more I can do. I really want this to become a sucessful and popular story. I know it will take time but if you guys could just simply vote, it would mean all the world to me.