Chapter 25

Well this was a hard chapter for me to write, I'm very emotional. This is kind of a short chapter but I promise that the next one is going to be MUCH longer. Remember to leave me a vote and comment give me some good feedback so I can make this story the best it can possibly be. I'm beginning to go back and edit this book as well for the Wattpad Prize. I love you all, your support has made me so happy and it means the world to me. You guys keep me writing. XOXO -Lanie         

  When I next woke up I was no longer in the comfort of my room, once again I felt the cool surface of the marble table I had first woken up on beneath me, my arms chained down. I groaned as I looked around, blinking my eyes. The room was lit with candles surrounding me, they lined the aisle, and were perched on all the banisters.

“Ah, my little rebel has woken up.” Suddenly Valistar was beside me, his hand caressing my cheek. I flinched away from him, a flash of fear appeared on my face.

“Don’t worry. I’ll only hurt you when you disobey. Not that you have much time left anyway. The cosmic alignment is tomorrow night. Looks like no one is coming for you.” He mocked with an evil grin.

Panic set in on me realizing that tomorrow was the night that Valistar was going to sacrifice me and he would have the power to rule the world. I began struggling against my binds, tears threatening to spill from the corners of my eyes.

“Oh don’t fret my love. It’ll be okay.” He murmured.

“Don’t you say things like that when tomorrow you’re going to kill me for revenge! You have no right to tell me it’s going to be okay. I trusted you. I thought you were my friend. Valistar please, think of what you’re doing. You say you care for me, love me even and yet you’re willing to kill me.” I was crying, tears steadily trailing down my face, though I was warned to stay away from Valistar I trusted him and believed he was truly a good person. The betrayal was a bitter taste in my mouth.

A flash of guilt and sadness appeared on his face, he looked to be at a loss for words so he just left slamming the door behind him. There was so much more I wanted to say, so much more that I needed to say. I planted the seeds of doubt and hurt in his mind, I could only hope that they would take root and embed themselves in his mind. I closed my eyes and let darkness take over me again, I needed to see Darien.

Once again I was in the meadow, and a sense of tranquility wrapped itself like a blanket around me.

“Darien?” I called out looking around.

“Scarlett!” He was suddenly beside me hoisting me up into the air spinning me around, “Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

“I tried escaping, I gave it my all. But Valistar caught me, he had some sort of force field around the cathedral that prevented me from escaping. He gave me a few good blows to the head and he kicked me in the ribs, but otherwise I’m fine.” And although I tried to hold back the tears they came flowing forth.

                Darien set me on the ground and held me tight, I allowed his woodland scent to calm my senses and I cried into his shirt. He ran his hands up and down my back trying his hardest to calm me down, I felt the tension behind his muscles, the way he was shaking with pure rage. He pulled me back and tilted my chin up I gasped at the site of his deep green eyes glistening with tears. 

“I’m so sorry Scarlett. I’m so so sorry.” He whispered, his voice that of utter defeat and guilt. He slumped to his knees and wrapped his arms around my waist placing his head on my chest and this time, it was his turn to cry. I was shocked at the sight of someone as strong and manly as Darien on his knees crying with just as much force as I did. I ran a hand through his hair, wiping his tears from his cheeks.

“Please, don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. I was warned against Valistar and I didn’t listen. I was mule headed and thought I could judge for myself what kind of a person he was. But you and everyone else was right. How could I have been so blind?”

“You see the good in everyone and refuse to see the bad.” Darien looked up at me and reached his hand up and cupped my cheek.

“I promise we’ll save you. Were on our way right now. Don’t give up, know that we’ll be there for you. We will save you.” His voice was soft but his conviction was strong, his voice full of tender love.

I got on my knees as well and embraced him holding him as if he would disappear at any moment and leave me alone. I kissed him, I poured all of my emotions into the kiss. Al of my love, fear, worries, desperation, it was all in the kiss.

“Darien, Valistar says he’s doing this for revenge on the Council for banishing him after he murdered your supposed mate. He said that he wasn’t allowed to speak or defend his case. Is it true?” I asked after we had pulled apart.

Darien sighed and sat down bringing me down with him where my head was lying on his chest. He ran his hands down my side before speaking.

“Yes, it’s true. He killed Carla, I thought she was my mate. I had been roaming the world for my mate and she was the one girl I had met that I actually felt like I connected with. I was a fool. But at the time when it happened I was devastated, I had loved her. He apologized but I was blind with rage. I presented the case to the Council and he was exiled, they wouldn’t even let him speak or try to defend himself. This is all my fault, if I didn’t let my emotions cloud my judgment I would have been able to think clearly and rationally. I knew he would want his revenge. But I’m guilty of letting him bring you into this. I should have known he would use you against me…”

“Valistar also said that I was your true mate. Is that true?”

“I think it is, Scarlett I love you more than anything or anyone else in the world. I feel like without you my life would have no meaning in it. I need you in my life Scarlett.” He leaned down and kissed me.

“I love you Darien, know that, and please never forget it.” I whispered as tears once again filled my eyes.

“Scarlett, don’t talk like this is the last time I’m going to see you. I swear we’re going to rescue you.”

“Okay.” I gave him a smile, thought I felt it in my heart that it was very possible I would never see him again.

“I have to go now, I feel myself being woken up.” Dairen whispered as he stood up.

I kissed him again, “I love you.”

“And I love you.”