Chapter 26

This was such an intense chapter for me. Like oh my goodness. Writing this chapter was an emotional roller coaster for me. I hope you guys enjoy it, please make sure to hit that vote button and let me know what you think, I would really greatly appreciate it. XOXO -Lanie      

As I returned from the dream world I realized that Valistar was looming over me, his face was tight with anxiety, but also in his eyes you could see calmness and acceptance. He smiled caressing my cheek.

“Good morning love. Glad to see you’re awake, we have such a big night ahead of us. I do apologize for storming out on you earlier, I just needed to clear my head a little bit and it was so hard to with your big doe eyes looking at me. But I digress.” He reached over and unlocked the chains on my arms, “Move a muscle and you will not live to regret it.” He said as he took my hand and helped me up.

 I stood rod straight, perfectly still, hardly breathing. He leaned in close and breathed in my scent.

“You smell like a ripe fruit, ready for the plucking.” His voice sent shivers along my spine as he tentatively licked my neck. He abruptly pulled away, “The fun can wait, and we have to get you read for the big day!” His enthusiasm was sickening as he clapped his hands as if he were dressing me up for prom and not some ritualistic sacrifice so that he can take over the world.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and began leading me down a series of corridors, I just walked silently alongside him, and I felt nauseous and sick. I was a lamb being led away with the wolf, a chicken on its’ way to a slaughterhouse. He opened a door that led me into a gran bathroom.

“Take a shower and get nice and clean. There’s a robe for you to wear until we get you into the dress of the evening. I’m right outside the door so don’t think of trying to pull anything.” He said as he walked out and closed the door, leaving me alone.

With shaking hand I turned the knob on the shower and let steam fill the room, I closed my eyes and allowed the water to pour down over me.

“Should Darien and the other not come to my aid I will die, and if I die Valistar will have all the power he needs to rule the world and enact his revenge. I will give it my all and try to survive.” I thought to myself and I stepped out and wrapped the robe around my body.

I opened the door and Valistar got up from where he was leaning against the wall, his eyes trailed along my body and he grinned.

“Let’s go play dress up.” He took me by my hand and once again led me down more hallways and corridors.

We walked into a room where the walls were blood red, candles were illuminated on the walls, their flickering flames casting shadows on the walls of the room. What drew my attention the most was at the center of the room there was a mannequin wearing an exquisite dress. The top part of it was a red with black lace trim strapless corset, then it fluffed up into a stunning black Cinderella ball gown that fell to the floor in ruffles of silk and lace.

“This is the dress. I had it specially made just for you, oh my love you will be so beautiful. I’ll send in some maids to help you get dressed and ready. You must be absolutely perfect.” He whispered into my ear with a soft peck on my cheek.

Two women came in dressed in a typical maids uniform, they were gorgeous so I figured they must been vampires. They both bowed in a low curtsey to me.

“It’s our honor to prepare you my Lady.” One of them said with a smile as she rose from her curtsey. The other nodded in agreement.

I found their behavior creepy, they were dressing me up, knowing I would be being slaughtered in just a few hours, “Um, please don’t be formal with me.” I said in a small voice.

They said nothing but began undressing me leaving me flustered and only in my undergarments in the middle of the room.

“Well, she’s got a nice figure. Master did well in picking the dress he did, it will look perfect on her.” One said to the other as they got the dress off the mannequin and walked over to me.

It took a solid fifteen minutes to get me in the dress, there were so many strings to be tied and things to put on, but even so I wasn’t allowed to look in the mirror. They said they wanted to wait until I was completely ready so I got the full effect. Several times where they were dolling me up I had to bite my cheek to keep the tears at bay, my fear was settling in, I reached out with my mind to try and sense Darien but all that was there was emptiness.

Once the zombie maids were done dressing me for the slaughter they walked me over to a full length mirror that had a black veil over it. They smiled and pulled the cords dropping the veil and revealing my reflection to myself. I gasped, not knowing whose eyes I was looking into. I looked like an angel of both Heaven and Hell. I was white, ghostly pale, but it gave me a look of dark elegance. My hair was pulled on top of my hair in a mess of curls, it was an oddly fitting style as it showed off my long pale neck, and my eyes were dark rimmed in black eye shadow causing the blue to stand out in contrast. The dress was something otherworldly, I knew this dress was picked for me to be sacrificed but I still couldn’t help but admire its’ beauty as I ran my hands along the silk and lace bodice. I shivered as I felt hands on my shoulders and a presence behind my body.

“You look like the picture of dark beauty. Your white skin, bright blue eyes, this dress. It’s so fitting for tonight’s occasion.” I looked into the mirror and met Valistar’s eyes.

He gave me a small smile and leaned down and kissed up and along my neck. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

“Valistar, you know things don’t have to be this way. You have the choice, you don’t have to. Please.” I turned around to face him, the tears welling in my eyes and the emotions in my heart were real.

“Oh Scarlett.” His voice was so sad and heavy laden. His eyes were swimming with the conflicts from within, he grabbed me and held me tightly to him, his forehead pressed against mine.

“I hope one day you will be able to forgive me. I wish it was anyone but you, over the time I spent watching you from afar I fell in love with you. This is the hardest thing for me to do.” He said as his lips pressed against mine tenderly.

“Then why do you have to do this?” I was desperate, clinging onto his shirt in the desperation I could sway his choice.

“You don’t understand love. I’m sorry. But this is something I have to do, there’s no choice for me.” He kissed me again this time his lips were forceful and none too sweet.

I pulled away from him and glared at him, my blood boiling inside my veins, “You disgust me.” I spat with pure venom.

He said nothing but yanked me by the arm and began dragging me back down the hall to the main cathedral, he lifted me and threw me on the stone table and I let out a scream, terror filling my body. He quickly restrained my arms and feet to where my struggles were a useless waste of precious energy. Valistar walked over to the huge stained glass window and threw a chair through it, the glass shattered and cascaded down onto the floor and the room was illuminated with the light of the bright full moon that seemed close enough to touch.

“Tis time! The hour is upon us!” Valistar said as he threw his hands up, the candelabras lit aflame and ominous music began playing from an unknown location.

He walked over to a table and picked up a dagger, the handle was black onyx with ruby red gemstones encrusted in it, the silver blade gleamed menacingly down at me as Valistar held it. He walked over to me and held it over my heart the tip barely brushing my skin.

“To those who are above, I come to thee with this holy sacrifice so that ye may grant me my hearts deepest desires. Thicker than blood, richer than silk, this vampire below me is the one of which we have been seeking, the one of the prophecy. I offer her to you in this holy sacrifice!” He yelled, tears streaming down his face as he lifted his hands up before bringing them back down, plunging the dagger straight through my heart.

 As I felt my energy leaving me, I watched as the doors to the cathedral were torn down and five figures stood there, “Darien…” My voice was a hoarse whisper, I weakly lifted my hand and reached towards him. I heard him scream before everything went black.

Make sure to leave me a vote or comment, I would love to hear what you think!