Chapter 44: MIDNIGHT MIST

Start from the beginning

-There, all done. - She smiled sweetly at him - I'm pretty sure you'll live.

Completely enchanted, Ivar gazed at her for a moment then suddenly, as if his body was moving on its own, he drew her towards himself wrapping his hand around the back of her head and pressed his lips against hers. He kissed her deeply, nostalgically and so greedily that she felt such a rush of adrenaline, it gave her vertigo. Ivar slowly pulled away from her gazing into her bewildered eyes and smiled.

-That's a thank you for saving my life. - He teased, gently stroking her chin. - Now get some rest, my clumsy little earthling girl. You must be drained from everything that happened and a very long day awaits us tomorrow. - He gave her lips one more sweet smooch unable to resist it, pretty amused by her stupefied expression. How he loved those reactions of hers.

 How he loved those reactions of hers

"What... Just happened?..." Very dazed with her head still spinning, Stacie stared off into the darkness wide awake inside her sleeping bag. Her heart was pounding so hard she thought it might jump out! She knew Ivar was unpredictable, but to that extent?... She still could not believe he actually kissed her just now, no matter how many times she replayed it in her head. And that loving gaze in his eyes, and that comforting hug earlier... Was that really Ivar? Was it all real? Is this some fantastical and very surrealistic dream? "If it is... Don't wake me up..." Thought Stacie, having an extremely difficult time containing her overjoyed glee. "How in the world does he expect me to sleep now after that?!..." She was overcome by the hurricane of butterflies with exploding fireworks within her. "Ivar stole my first kiss... I can't believe he actually STOLE my first real kiss..." She turned away hiding her dopey grin from him, as she was thinking about it, her face burning from the overwhelming swell of emotions.

She wanted to laugh, cry, and dance all at the same time. And, if it wasn't for Ivar laying on the top of his sleeping bag almost right next to her, she'd be squealing and jumping around like a smitten teenage girl, who lost her head. She just could not get over the fact that her first actual kiss, was with the man she's in love with! The real kiss, not whatever Frank did to her back then. That was an assault. It was beyond disgusting. She did not even want to remember it. Ivar's kiss, however, was just heavenly. In an instant, it erased any doubts she had about what she truly means to him. All of this was just as much new to Stacie, as it was to Ivar. Just like him, she never was in a relationship before. She was too wrapped up in her studies, trying to pull her life together after her mother left, to think about relationships. Then after graduating, she was too busy building a career for herself, traveling around from one archaeological site to another, and soon after, she was brought on board of P.O. project. So there really was no chance for it. And she was glad because she met Ivar. The most amazing man in all of the universe. Quite literally...

"Is she asleep?" Wondered Ivar, glancing at snugly wrapped up inside her sleeping bag, Stacie. And his wondering was confirmed by her sudden turn over to face him. Despite her excitement over the kiss, the exhaustion took its toll and Stacie gradually drifted into a sound, blissful slumber, while fantasizing about him.