Was he seriously telling her that? Everyone with two eyes could see that he had some issues with her and when blessed with a mind like hers, she kept wondering whether it was her fault, until Wren told her about Amy. But she still felt it had something to do with her.

She gave him a this-is-bullshit-and-you-know-it look, and he let out a sigh.

"I'm assuming Wren told you about Amy, then," Calvin asked, and she nodded. "I don't know if it'll help since he already had problems about trusting people before he met Amy. But I'll try, for you," he offered.

"Thanks, Calvin," she said, despite wanting to ask about Mason's insecurities. It wasn't her place to ask. "I just want to be friends."

"I know," he said, smiling softly at her.

Hayden stared out at the sun setting with soft music playing in the car. The song had changed from Nicki Minaj to something that Hayden didn't know the name of but quite enjoyed.

The gates were opened as Calvin's car approached the gigantic house. Hayden still was in awe after visiting the house for some time now. She had come over to discuss some things pertaining to their novel not once, and she was sure the butler now knew her.

The house was empty as they entered it. Hayden wanted to ask where Calvin's parents were but she had realized that what Calvin had said was true and he was not in any way exaggerating it when he said they didn't care much about them.

His Mom was around, but Calvin hardly acknowledged her. And as if trying to prove Hayden's point even more. His mom, Melissa, appeared dressed in a sleek dress with some really pretty stilettos. She had on chic makeup. Calvin got his really attractive features from her.

"Hey, baby," she said, reaching in for a hug. Calvin casually refused to return it as he stood stiffly. Her face fell as she pulled away. Hayden actually felt bad for her. She wasn't one to judge but she would never do that to her mom if she were alive. "Hayden, right?" She turned and smiled brightly at Hayden.

"Yes, ma'am," Hayden said, as she tightened her hold on her zipper. She really didn't want to be there in case things turned nasty.

"It's nice to meet you again. I'm late for a charity event right now, but I hope we get time to catch up some other day," she said.

Hayden agreed hesitantly. It wasn't like she could say no. The woman was older than her, and the tone she used wasn't one you tried arguing with.

She smiled at her and gave Calvin one last look before leaving — her stilettos hitting the marbled floor as she sauntered.

"Don't tell me you're falling for her charms too." Calvin scoffed as Hayden followed him to his room. She had started getting used to the big house and could at least find Calvin's room.

"I'm not. But everyone deserves a second chance," she argued.

"And how many second chances does she need before she realizes that he is manipulating her," Calvin said tiredly, opening the door of his room. She knew the 'he' he was referring to was his father.

Hayden knew where her usual seating place was in his room. It was usually the bed, but it was filled with clothes. Calvin always claimed that the maid didn't clean his room, but Hayden knew it was he who didn't allow anyone to clean it for him.

He quickly removed the clothes, and she sat down.

"She's your mom. She still deserves another chance," she said, keeping her backpack aside.

"Okay, wait, you're not gonna understand this till I give you an example." He entered his closet to drop off the clothes he had picked off. "Do you think Jaz should give her uncle a chance if he ever asks for one?"

Hayden didn't think for a second before she blurted out, "No."

"Exactly." He looked at her pointedly. She decided to keep quiet because she was being a hypocrite in a way. She knew if it was her, she wouldn't give another chance, but she was begging someone else to give one.

"Let's go, they will be here any minute," she said. They never hung out in Calvin's room. It was usually in the small living/movie room that they spent their time when it was all of them. She didn't know why Calvin didn't want them to enter his room, but she didn't ask him.

Again, his decision, not hers.

"There's something I want to show you first." Hayden watched as he opened his first drawer and brought out a notebook. "I made it for the book." He gave her a small smile and ran his hand through his hair.

Hayden collected the notebook.

"Uh, sorry, let me show you the page." He collected the book back and opened it to a page. "Here."

the wind blowed,
the rain descended,
the trees swayed,
and the sun hid.

it was dark,
and quiet—
the only sound was
the rain drops
on rooftops.

many saw the rain as darkness
associated it with mourning
and called it boring.

but she viewed the rain
as part of her brain
after all, her eyes
were as stormy as
the darkest clouds
and people saw
her as darkness too.

"It's really good. You're so talented," Hayden said, "Can I read the others?" she asked.

"Yeah, sure." He scratched his neck. "I'm glad you like it." He smiled.

"Like it? I love it, honestly!" Hayden grinned.

His smile turned into a full-blown grin as he answered. "Thanks, Hayden." His eyes were brighter than the brightest stars.

"I'm serious. Maybe, we can post a poem instead of a quote at the beginning of the next chapter," she said. She didn't get to read the others when Lyra's text came in. "Tell the guards to let Lyra in."

Hayden gave the book back to Calvin as she picked up her bag.

Maybe it wasn't the right time for her to read the rest of the poems, but she would read them one day.

"Let's go," Calvin opened the door for her.