13

'Smiling doesn't always mean happiness; just like crying doesn't necessarily mean you're sad.'
~JRP

The chilly breeze hit Hayden's face as she waited outside her apartment complex for the taxi to arrive. The cold night was making her shiver under the dark. The taxi should have arrived by then, seeing as she had arranged for one as soon as she came out of her apartment and it had been minutes.

Finally, a crappy taxi showed up beside her, rolled down the window, and showed a bald aged man. "Hayden James?" he croaked. Nodding her head, she entered the backseat that matched the neighbourhood they were in. She had already written the address she was going to when requesting for the taxi on their app.

Hayden didn't want to talk, and she was glad the taxi driver wasn't a talkative one. The drive was silent as she looked out the window, thinking of what to say when she finally arrived at her destination. Should she say sorry or allow him to explain and forgive him? There were so many outcomes to her visit. Hopefully, none of them would lead to her leaving the house without coming to an agreement.

"Are you sure this is the right location?" the driver asked, looking at her via the rear-view mirror. Hayden nodded. Honestly, she didn't blame him, compared to the neighbourhood he picked her up which was complete garbage, this was heaven. It was filled with large and space-filled mansions that had a lot of bright blinding lights.

Stopping at the largest and grandest of them all, the taxi driver rolled down his window and spoke through the intercom. He said some few words which Hayden, unfortunately, couldn't grab before he said, "Look, I'm not allowed in, but I can drop you off here." Hayden sighed, asked for the amount, handed it to him, and left the car.

Taking three deep breaths, she approached the intercom. After stating her name, and who she wanted to meet, the guard confirmed, before allowing her in. It was as if it had become larger since the last time she visited. The car had definitely hindered her from truly seeing its size and magnificence.

Unlike the last time where Wren and Mason just waltzed in, Hayden had to ring the doorbell. The door was immediately opened after that. Two people were standing by the door; the long-bearded butler and a dishevelled Calvin. Smiling nervously at the butler, Hayden entered the house, averting her eyes from Calvin's.

"Hayden?" Calvin asked. "What are you doing here?" He scrunched his nose in confusion, as a slight frown sat on his face.

She breathed once, twice, three times before looking at him and replying. "The project," she said, her nervous smile still on her face.

He sighed, peering at her suspiciously before speaking, "Geoffrey, you can leave." The butler left, and Calvin turned to Hayden. "Come, let's go," he said, then muttered some words under his breath. Hayden followed him through some hallways filled with expensive paintings and up a flight of stairs. "Honestly, I thought I was dreaming when they told me you were at the gate." He let out a slight laugh, then glanced at Hayden; she faked a smile.

Stopping at a door, he pushed it open. His room was larger than her apartment, and that was a fact. She took her three breaths before entering the room. "What do you think, huh?" he asked, his eyes shining with a tinge of pride also found in his voice.

"It's beautiful." The room had a large black bed, a huge tv opposite the bed, a working desk, and a chair. Hayden loved the simplicity of the room, but most of all she loved the poetry he had all over his walls. She wanted to read them but refrained from it. She didn't like it when people read her work, so she respected his privacy, and ignored the writings. The room was a little messy, and so he quickly picked up the stuff lying around. It was no surprise he wasn't expecting a visitor.