05

"They might love you, but they will never understand you."
~JRP

The cool water hit Hayden's face. She needed something to bring her back to reality. Luckily, there wasn't anyone there apart from her. Else, it would have been very embarrassing.

She opened a stall once she had finished washing her face, closed the lid of the toilet and sat down. She started practicing her breathing method. It helped calm her down, and she was ready to come out after some time.

"Hey, are you all right?" Hayden turned around to find Calvin standing up from a sitting position outside the ladies' room. She froze for a second before she continued walking. Who the hell sits outside a bathroom waiting for someone he doesn't even know?

"Um, yeah. Thanks," she muttered. Calvin quickened his pace and caught up with her.

"What happened back there? In the cafeteria and in class?" he asked. Hayden didn't want to answer him. What would she say? That she had a panic attack because she poured smoothie on Mason's shirt or because she got paired with him.

She ignored him and kept scurrying. Why was he so determined to talk to her, anyways?

He jogged up to catch up with her. "If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine," he said. Hayden thought he didn't like strangers, so why was he disturbing her?

She still said nothing, and he let out a sigh beside her. "Alright then, but you can trust me, you know."

After a moment of silence, he continued talking. "So, about the Creative Arts project, I chose writing for us. Is that okay with you?" His long legs weren't having any trouble keeping up with her brisk steps.

"About that," she said, "I can't be y-your partner. Sorry." Hayden turned left and headed straight for her locker, leaving a dumbfounded Calvin behind.

Hayden had already finished putting her books in her backpack, when a straight faced, jaw clenched Calvin showed up.

"Why?" he asked, looking directly into her eyes. "Why can't you be my partner?" She had to admit it was very intimidating the way his eyes were looking at her without blinking.

She stuttered, "I just — I can't." Hayden closed her locker as quickly as she could and left the scene. People were already looking at their direction. It was because Calvin was talking to her.

Hayden wondered why everyone worshipped him. All right, maybe his father was rich, but who cared? He was also a human being and she couldn't understand what was up with the special treatment.

By the time she finished calming herself in the bathroom, the first bell had already rung, and there was no point in going back to the class. She made a mental note to speak with Mrs Miller before their next class.

She needed a new partner, Calvin could never be her partner. The worst thing that could happen was her changing the class, but she wished it never came to that.

Hayden entered her next class and found a seat in the middle, a little to the end. She sat down and kept her books. She could do the project herself if it ever came to that. She had written countless books before alone. She could do it again.

Working with a partner was a hard thing, Hayden knew that much. You'd have to meet almost every day to discuss your project and how things would work out. Hayden couldn't afford that. She had a busy schedule and couldn't imagine when she'd even have time for a partner.

The only free time she normally had was at night, and she didn't think anyone would be free then. Heck, most of the time, sleep was the only thing on her mind at night.