17

'Memories are weird things,  they make you cry, they make you laugh, and they make you wish time could stop,  oceans could freeze,and moments could remain forever.'  ~Memories, Calvin J. Winston.

Inside the bag Calvin had brought to the graveyard were a shell they found on the beach from when they went to Monaco, a picture of the two of them Geoffrey had taken on a holiday trip to their private island, and her favourite sketchpad.

They were his favourite things because they reminded him of her. He laid each of them out on her grave, placing the jasmines with them.

"She's gone now," he started, a smile playing on his lips. "Now would you tell me if you like her or not? Who am I kidding?" He laughed. "I'm sure you love her."

He was quiet for a while. "I miss you, y'know that, dumbass. You have no idea how much the house is dull without you. I even miss calling you dumbass."

He laughed again. "Who knew a day would come when I would miss that?"

"I'm sorry, Eliza," he said after being quiet for too long. "I should've saved you. I should've protected you from them. Stood up for you just like you always did for me," he sighed.

"I have to go, now. Hayden is waiting for me. I'm sorry for leaving these behind but I have to. Keeping them is too painful for me. I thought you might want to have them. It's shelly. Remember? I begged you to keep it after finding it on the beach."

He smiled.

"And the picture Geoff took of us when they left us with him. I see the way he looks at your pictures when he thinks no one is noticing." He brushed a lone tear from his cheek before continuing. "He misses you too."

"And lastly, your sketchpad. I have to admit I stole one of your sketches. I can't just give you everything," he joked.

"Besides, I have Hayden to remind me of you. She infuriates me, makes me smile and I can't stop thinking of her. And she doesn't even realize the kind of power she has over me. I mean, I would do anything if she asks me to do. She's just like you — passionate, strong and determined."

He stood up, brushed his jeans and murmured a few more words. "Don't worry, I still remember my promise. I'll save her for you. I'll come see you soon, Eli."

***

With depression, you never know what to expect. After Eliza's death, Calvin shut down. He became a ghost of the person he was before. He stopped talking to everyone, including his friends and especially his parents. They had killed her, after all.

It took different types of psychotherapy before he started acting normally. He had stopped eating before, no longer hung out with his friends and didn't speak to anyone apart from a few words when Mason and Wren insisted in school.

But when he did regain himself, he never spoke about it. That was until Hayden came into his life like a ray of sunshine after months of dark skies.

He was waiting for her outside Cakes & Coffees. They were going out to have fun. Oh, and discuss their unfinished book. He still had some editing to catch up on.

Calvin: Where are you?

Hayden: Coming. Forgot my notes, had to go back and get them.

Calvin: Aii. Be fast xx.

She came bustling out of the front door of the coffee shop. "I'm here," she said, once she had opened the door and let herself in. She finished putting her hair in a bun before strapping in her seatbelt.

"You look pretty," he said, looking at her. She was wearing a floral miniskirt with a white top, with a jacket on top.

She groaned. "Please don't lie to me!"

"I'm serious," he said, swerving into the road.

"Right. Where are we going?" she asked, getting comfortable.

"To get ice cream, of course." He grinned.

She sighed, trying to hide a smile. "Should I even ask?"

"Nope."

They reached the ice cream parlour in less than five minutes. It was a small, cute place with heart-shaped tables, pink everywhere and all of Calvin's favourite flavours.

"It's beautiful," Hayden commented, dazzled by the place.

"I know, right."

Hayden got coconut flakes with coffee ice cream while Calvin got white chocolate, hazelnut and cinnamon. They left the cute shop to roam around the streets as they finished their ice creams.

Calvin wanted to show Hayden some of his favourite parts of town. He was sure she hadn't the opportunity to go sightseeing.

Calvin pointed at a Chinese restaurant. "That's my favourite restaurant. Their takeout is always warmed to the perfect temperature. Don't order Wong's; they take too long." He pointed at the other Chinese restaurant by the side.

"You can always use the microwave, though."

"But wouldn't you want to save yourself that three minutes of waiting? Besides, waiting for my food in the microwave is the most annoying thing ever."

Hayden laughed. "Me too! I get so impatient."

It was times like these that motivated him to do better for himself and Hayden – to not give up and follow his sister.