08

'Some days, she wished she could be free... from everything.'
~JRP

The small bell at the entrance of Cakes & Coffees rang, signalling the door opening. Usually, it meant a new customer. This time it was just Hayden. She hurried and kept the package in her hands on the cashier table.

There weren't many customers in the pastry shop, and Hayden was glad. The backdoor was closed, so she had to use the main entrance.

She swept her brown hair from her face, wiping some sweat as she did so. Who knew carrying a package for ten minutes will make me like this? Her beige skin was full of sweat, her lungs aching to catch a breath.

As she glanced at the homey shop, she felt slightly at home and safe from the bustling life of the city. It was a Saturday, and she had spent the better part of her day there.

"Thank you for helping me with this, Hayden," Mr. Brown said. Hayden gave him a slight smile and a nod. She was going back to her duty when she felt a little tap on her shoulder.

Turning around, she found a smiling Wren. "Hey, I didn't know you work here," she said.

Hayden's heart was racing because of the sudden movement. She took a single lengthy breath. "Uh, yeah." She laughed awkwardly.

"I've been coming here for a while, and I've never seen you before," she pointed out.

"I work in the kitchen."

Wren smiled. "You must be really good to work here because the food is amazing. Hence my coming here always."

Hayden didn't know what to say but a small thank you. Wren really was the nicest person she knew. "What are you doing here, though?" Hayden asked. She tried playing with the edge of her shirt. What would Wren say about her working?

"We're here to talk about the project." she said, pointing at the pile of books on the table of one of the window booths. "I was waiting for the guys when I saw you come in. You're Calvin's partner, aren't you? You should come join us," she offered.

"Sorry but I have to work," Hayden said. "Maybe next time." She couldn't blatantly reject her friend's request. It would hurt her.

"Oh, right. Maybe when you're done," Wren said.

"Yeah." Hayden smiled before carrying herself to the kitchen.

Wren was the last person she expected to find.

***

Hayden was almost through with her work when Lyra emerged into the kitchen with a suspiciously mischievous look in her bright blue eyes. She wore jeans and a sport shirt beneath her coffee-stained apron.

"Hayden, someone's here for you," she said, smiling more than necessary.

There was a small smile on his face when Hayden found her 'visitor'. He was wearing blue jeans with a top and blazer, typing away on his phone.

She took three breaths, admittedly to calm her erratic heart and to form a visible response to the stranger that looked for her.

"Here we are. A friend of yours?" Lyra asked, watching Hayden's expression with keen interest. Hayden shook her head, albeit a bit too fast. "More, perhaps," she added slyly, winking to finish the look. Once directly in his gaze, Lyra spun around and left.

"Thanks," he murmured with a small smile playing on his lips. "Hello, Hayden." His smile became wider as he also keenly watched Hayden. Somehow, he waited for her to take her breaths before continuing, voice just enough for her ears only, "You must be surprised seeing me here."