Chapter 43

"Well the dreams are just your childhood nightmares reoccurring. That tends to happen after head trauma and memory lose." The therapist stated.

Tessa sighed, not really listening to the lady as she began to speak about the logical reasons for a dream to reoccur. She really didn't care. She adjusted her red high waisted skirt so it was a little closer to reaching her knees. Her button down white shirt was tucked into the skirt, with just a few of the top buttons unbutton to reveal a little of her cleavage. She found herself tugging on her knee high gray socks often, in fear they were sliding down.

She dressed teen like purposely, because she was meeting Lance after her therapy appointment. She thought he'd get a kick out of it. So far her and Lance had eaten lunch together for the past few days. Each lunch caused them to become closer and closer to love. Even though it was impossible for her to love one like she loved Niall, it wasn't impossible for her to love another guy. Now that she didn't even remember her feelings for Niall it was one hundred times easier to find love. And now that she had nothing to compare it to, she would think that Lance was her one true love.

Little by little her and Niall grew apart. Niall would never really not love her, but he also couldn't just go through life watching Tessa and Lance.

The first of February. The day Niall was to be on a plane to Denver Colorado. The day Niall would leave, not only his true love behind, but his best friend. Niall had noticed that he was closer to Tessa then he was with anyone of the boys or his friend that he once called his best friend back home. Therefor, Tessa truly was his best friend, along with his one and only Love.

Paul was already sent ahead a few days prier to meet with the boys in Colorado. So Niall was the only one left to be on a plane, a lonely sixteen hours awaited him.

Means he was pretty sure he wasn't going to see Tessa again in person anytime soon, he got the courage to grasp her hand as she walked him into the airport. Or maybe it was just the fact that Tessa had held his hand before, and he knew she saw it as a friendly jester. Either way, Niall didn't see it as a friendly jester at all. He thought about kissing her, means he wasn't going to see her again, it wasn't like he had anything to lose that he hadn't already lost.

He sighed, he could never go through with it. He wasn't going to push himself on Her. He couldn't ruin the happiness she had with Lance by being selfish and wanting to kiss her. Worst of all, he was afraid of being rejected and totally loosing his friendship with her. He couldn't lose her for good. He had already let her go, free to make her own choice on who to date, while he stayed behind and watched in agony. He couldn't risk the friendship going too.

He turned to Tessa when they stood in front of security. This was it, the place they would say good bye. His eyes moved over her face, how he wanted to lean in a feel the warmth of her lips against his. He didn't. "Promise to Skype me." He half demanded.

"I promise." Tessa smiled sweetly up at her best friend. "Don't forget me while your out 'changing lives'." She quoted something many of his fans tell him.

With a very serious face, which was different for Niall, he stared down at her for a moment. "I could never... Forget you." I love you. He added in his mind.

"You never told me the ending to the story." Tessa grins sadly. She really just wanted to stall him from leaving her alone again.

I'm afraid it ends here, were his thoughts. "As long as we're both living, there won't be an ending." Niall tried to smile, hoping she didn't pay much attention to who exactly the 'we're' was pertaining to.

"But what happened to her?" Tessa asked, not understanding.

You're always there, just out of reach. "She loves someone else now."

Tessa's eyebrows knitted in innocent confusion. "But how? She had you."

Niall almost laughed at the irony of the question. A smile came to his face, not letting the bitter laughter escape. He turned around to look at the line as it got smaller, people started lining up behind Tessa as they spoke. "You should go, I'm almost through." Niall's voice was weak, his broken accent almost making it unable to understand.

She hadn't had to say good bye to him before, that she remembered. So she didn't exactly know what to do. So, she hooked her arms around his neck, causing him to lean down and take in her scent for the last time. Or so he thought.

"Babe," Niall could hardly speak trough the strange hug. It was strange to him because when they used to hug, her hands would wrap around his waist, not his neck. It made him feel as though he could protect her, like a boyfriend should. Now the feeling of her arms around his neck just reminded him that they're only best friends. She has Lance to protect her now.

"Excuse me." The lady security guard was getting impatient, along with the line of people behind them.

Tessa pulled away, smiling at her friend. "Call me when you land."

Niall didn't answer, his facial features unreadable. He leaned down, touching his lips to the soft healed skin of her forehead where the bandage once was. Tessa smiled as he pulled away a moment later. "Bye Tess." Out of all the moment they just had, the word 'bye' leaving his mouth was the hardest.

"Goodbye Ni." And that was the hardest for him to hear and except. The goodbye combined with the friendly nickname she had given him. A deadly combination.

And that was it. She was gone, sliding back through the line of agitated people into a crowd of worried and exhausted people. He thought that was the last he was going to see of her. 

  But their journey would continue. For years to come. Rather it be Tessa and Lance and Niall, or just Tessa and Niall, their journey continued.