Twenty-Three

Carl and I had been laying together all day in bed. Fingers tangled up together as we crack the dumbest jokes ever and laugh.

That's how the day started, and I wish I had known that it wouldn't be the same again.

Michonne had interrupted our laughing session, her eyes held a strong emotion that I could not understand. She hid her feelings really well, never really talking about how she felt about things or how she was feeling.

But I still admired her. A strong, beautiful woman that I was glad I had the chance to get to know a little better.

She smiled at me before asking Carl to come outside for a bit, for she needed him in what looked like a hurry.

Carl looked back at me and he smiled before unexpectedly kissing my forehead and jogging up to Michonne.

I will never get used to receiving this kind of affection from another human being.

It always weirds me out.

It's been almost an hour now that I've been in here waiting for him, and he hasn't gotten back yet.

I got up and swung the door open, my eyebrows immediately knit in confusion at the empty house.

I thought they were talking in here?

I ran downstairs and checked the kitchen and the living room, but still, no sign of Carl, Michonne, or Rick.

Not even Judith.

I got out of the house, my eyes squinted as I look through the people walking around, trying to spot the one person I'm used to always being around.

" where the hell is he? " I mutter to myself under my breath before walking away from the house.

What the hell? He would tell me if he had to get out of Alexandria, wouldn't he?

He can't just leave me alone in this fucking place.

" hey, have you seen Rick? Or Carl? " I stopped a woman I had seen and spoken to before, but was never bothered enough to ask for her name due to me convincing myself that I'll be leaving sometime soon.

The woman turned around and faced me, a smile playing on her lips before she opens her mouth to speak.

" oh, hi! " she starts and I give her a smile that I did not exactly mean.

Can she just answer holy shit these people are weird.

" I saw them leaving a few minutes ago. Poor Maggie must've gotten sick or so- "

" they left? Carl and Rick? " I cut her off and ask.

" yes darling they left "

My heart drops at her words as an unsettling feeling runs through me.

But so does anger.

He couldn't have told me that he was leaving? He just had to go and not tell me shit.

What the hell am I supposed to do in this shit-hole alone?

" thanks " I quickly say before going back into the house and grabbing my knife and gun that I had taken from that one gun storage room they have here. I wasn't going to risk it.