Ninteen

I've been in Alexandria for a week now. And it's interesting to say the least.

Everyone has something to do to keep themselves busy, and of course, make sure their community doesn't go to shit.

Me on the other hand, I haven't done much so far. Rick and Michonne only let me do small tasks like feeding the chickens and such bullshit because I need to " heal " first.

Personally, I don't really give a shit.

They let me stay, and they want me to stay here, the least I could do is help them with whatever they needed from me.

That is until I finally get to leave.

My train of thoughts is interrupted when I see Carl, a small smile plays on my lips as I make my way towards him with a metal bucket filled with poultry in my hand.

I felt the freshest I've felt in a while. A clean lavender  V-neck T-shirt covers my top and a pair of dark blue jeans covering the bottom. It felt weird. Wearing clean clothes I mean.

They reeked of detergent, a smell I haven't been around in so many years.

Carl's back is given to me as he continues to dig a hole with the shovel in his hands, his back muscles tensing with each groan that he lets out once the shovel hits the dirt.

" do you want any help? " I ask and he stops digging at the sound of my voice.

He turns around and smiles at me, shaking his head as he wipes the sweat off his forehead.

" I'm good, do you need any? " he replies and I shake my head with a small smile.

" feeding chickens? Yeah, please, that shit is so hard " I fake pout at him and he rolls his eyes with a giggle.

Carl puts his hands back on the shovel and takes a quick look at me before turning his eye back onto the hole he's trying to dig.

" you look cute today " he says and I gulp, my heart skipping a beat at the compliment.

Am I overreacting? What the fuck was that?

" thanks I'll uh, go back inside " I awkwardly say, accidentally tripping on my own two feet as I try to back away.

Carl giggles and my heart softens at the sound.

" call me if you need any help " I tell him before literally racing back into the house, my back hitting the door the minute I'm inside, eyes wide and my mind going crazy.

Holy shit.

••••

I was sitting on the edge of the bed I've been sleeping on for the past week now, my mind going over various memories from the past until a knock sounds from the door.

With a gentle " come in " , Michonne walks in, a small welcoming smile playing on her lips as she sits beside me on the edge of the bed.

I face her and try my hardest to smile as much as she is, but I couldn't really force it.

I need to work on my emotions holy shit.

" how are you feeling today? " she asks and I nod, my eyes now glued to the wooden floor.

" good. I'm alright " I reply.

" I know you don't want to stay " she says after a moment of silence.

I don't say anything back.

" but trust me, you'll like it here. Give them a chance, I was once in your situation " she starts and I fight the strong urge to roll my eyes at her.