20

Time was moving faster than she thought, as the sudden pull of pain that laid dormant to nerves drifted awake with each second that passed. Her skin hotted, burning. Sickly purples  and ugly jaundices danced around each cuff and ankle. Josephine delicately placed a finger on one and hissed in reaction.

She found herself mumbling. "So what are you guys?" Another burst of pain as she rubbed her swollen wrists, red and ugly. She breathed. "A gang? Scammers?" She was running out of ideas.

Josephine knew that some of her classmates had fallen off the deep end, but that was always due to poverty or particular circumstance. Nevertheless, none of those troublemakers had gone so far as to as had a gunfight at school.

Of course it terrified her. To say that the beings in the room could kill her at any moment didn't resonate completely. Especially Dante. Though lovely, he wasn't as kind as she had imagined. His umber hair was neatly styled that relevated around a face seemingly carved from granite. However granite, it was clearly soft, enriching the temperance born from ebony eyes.  Which, in turn, caused the desire to see Dante smile. Despite the absurd stupidity that it was.

His beauty said nothing about the person he was but more of the person you wanted him to be. It made him all the more petrifying.

"Try again, sweetheart," Houston purred in response to her question, disgusting Josephine immediately.  Then he tutted at her like a child. Like an insect. "Don't peg us for those childish ideas."

Josephine rubbed her wrists anxiously, no doubt imaging Houston tearing through her organs with a knife. She wanted the conversation over as soon as it began, but she needed to know.

She gazed to Beatriz, the only one she could muster to look at without avoiding their eyes in fear, and waited for an answer. In response, Beatriz smirked. "I'm afraid we're much worse than what you think we are."

Josephine wasn't amused. "Try me."

Beatriz paused. Josephine tried to keep her limbs steady as she awaited a response.

"We're a mafia," Beatriz said.

Josephine blinked. Once. Twice.

Beatriz leaned forward, the  brisk of a brown shoulder exposed as she continued. "The Black Devils, to be precise. And Camillo is a part of the Blood Sinners, our enemy to which we hold no mercy." The words were said with some sort of permanent sneer that seemed cold and cruel.

Their explanation was as absurd as the events that took place yesterday.

Nonchalantly, Dante added.  "The Valencio's and Russo's have had it out for each other for ages. Even now, as you've seen."

Josephine scoffed, staring in disbelief, then couldn't help but laugh. It was hilarious. The entirety of it. How dumb did they think she was?

Dante, noticing her actions with a dark, ire eye, snarled immediately. "Do you think we're lying?" Temper. This one had a temper.

They must have thought she was extremely dumb, anyways. It did nothing but fuel her more. Josephine roared. "You're highschoolers."

"Age means nothing," Beatriz interjected, in a tone that sounded as if she was defending herself. "We're everywhere. Just in the places you never care to see."

Josephine grinned, insane. "Right. And I'm part of the underground cartel."

The room distilled, everything becoming more livelier and alive than ever before. Because this was a joke. All of it. Not even the silence that loomed each person swallowed her pride. No, in fact, all it did was help. Josephine bathed in it in a fit of giggles.