67

It took one day.

As soon as school had ended, Josephine raced out of her classrooms, around the bodies of students, barely passing through the hallways. Houston had texted her, asking to meet in the courtyard as soon as possible. The message sounded urgent. She knew his request was really one from Dante, but ever since their kiss, there had been no attempts for communication. If he wasn't going to bother to reach out, then neither would she.

This time, however, she only made it three steps before Lexi ran in. Red-faced, eyes turned to slits, looked around the crowd before finding Josephine and charging forward.

"You bitch!" She screamed. People turned. "You're such a fucking slut."

Josephine froze. Serenity, next to her, did as well. They stared at Lexi, momentarily surprised filled with harrowing confusion as she approached them with eyes that spilled anger.

Serenity was the first to ask. "What's going on?" She whispered, now noticing everyone's eyes.

"Is it true?" Lexi whorled on Josephine, her voice like a banshee-scream. "Did you two sleep together?"

Josephine leveled a gaze towards the crowd. Lexi was acting ridiculous. "What are you talking about?"

"Stop acting stupid." She snapped. "I know about you and Camillo."

Serenity gaped, then froze. Then blinked in awe. "What?"

Luca. Of course he told her. It had only been one day since she made the pact with Camillo yesterday. Now that Lexi knew, there was no reason to deny it. She had better things to fret over than Lexi's feelings.

Josephine ground her jaw. "And what about it?"

Serenity gawked. "She's telling the truth?"

"So it's true?" Lexi shook even if her face was as hard as granite.

Serenity looked between them, unsure of whose side to take.

Josephine said, "Didn't I just tell you?"

"You're sleeping with my ex." Lexi looked ready to pummel her. "You fucking bitch."

But months of dealing with mobsters made Lexi look more like an angry kitten than a snarling lion. Josephine wasn't fazed. Not as the crowd around them thickened, phones high and ready to film whatever brawl was about to occur.

"I don't see why you're mad." She knew that everyone around her could hear. That the phone's recording would catch her words. Her lack of care.

Lexi roared. "You promised me. You said you wouldn't go for him!"

"And you have a boyfriend." The honest truth.

After nervously glancing at the crowd, Serenity hissed at both of them. "Guys, stop it. If you're gonna fight, do it somewhere else."

"Why?" Lexi said, her voice enthralling the crowd further. She grinned. "It's not like anyone doesn't know how much of a bitch Josephine is. She can't go five seconds without attention before getting jealous. It's why she can't handle the fact that I have a boyfriend and she doesn't. Who would even want to date you?"

"Many people, actually." Josephine returned the smile. "Your ex is one of them."

Lexi saw red.

Serenity rammed herself in between the two, desperately holding onto Lexi before she could break free and fight Josephine. The crowd's hollers grew louder, wanting it. She pleaded, "Josephine, please stop—"

She wouldn't. "No, actually, I just want to congratulate you Lexi on getting such a great boyfriend. Who I introduced you to, by the way." Her lips turned serpentine. "Is Luca okay with the fact that you're still in love with your ex?"