76

Josephine dragged Beatriz by the hair, right at the root so she couldn't escape, and ignore the thrashing. Her grip was iron-hard as they descended up the stairs and she didn't care who saw. Who watched.

Beatriz was screaming, but Josephine wasn't listening. Each step was heavier, harder. She couldn't think—couldn't breathe.

For a moment she thought that she could make it—then everything came slamming back. The despair. The outrage. It was too heavy. And there was so much of it.

She was staggering, though her mind was a monsoon, aware of just how naive she had been.

Josephine shoved her in, sending Beatriz across the floor with a loud snap. Beatriz wailed in pain, rubbing her elbow on the ground, seeing her confusion want to anguish and burn.

"What was that more?" She said, trying to stand before she was possibly lunged at again.

Josephine slammed the door shut in the office. Rage was singing in her blood, like a sharp screech. Louder and louder.

With a shaking finger, pointed to the corner of the room. "Did you know about this?"

Beatriz saw, but was stunned. Confused by what she saw. And what it meant. "What are you talking about?"

Josephine pointed at it again, the remnants still on her chin. "Did you know about this?" The question tore out of her like a bomb. She was going to explode.

Beatriz looked at it again, trying to understand. "I—I don't know!" She said, frantic. Her eyes shot back and forth trying to understand. Didn't know what it meant.

Then she did.

She understood.

She understood.

And looked guilty.

Guilty.

Josephine's heart shattered into a million pieces.

She couldn't think with the roar in her ears. It was so much. Those shards were crashing and spinning. Dragging across whatever she had left: trust, belief, hope. She was being cut from the inside out.

"I'm sorry," Beatriz said, it was barely a whisper, but full of shock. She hadn't expected it.

"You fucking bitch." Josephine snarled. All that fell from the wounds was hateful pain. "You planned this from the beginning, didn't you?" No response. "Didn't you?" She screamed this time.

Beatriz's lip trembled. They both knew what that meant.

Yes.

Josephine lunged. Wanting to shred everything apart. Beatriz wasn't prepared and they both hit the floor, scrambling for power.

Beatriz knew how to defend herself, but she had not taken on a girl overpowered by bloodlust. Beatriz wasn't trying to hurt her, but Josephine was. Badly. She fought, angry and overwhelmed, grabbing onto whatever skin she could find, stabbing her nails, and then ripping through. She wanted all the pain she felt on her.

A scream shattered from Beatriz. Josephine thought her blood vessels would shatter too. But she didn't care. She just wanted to inflict pain.

Josephine couldn't feel anything. Parts were being mutilated left and right of her heart like a war field. It left burning holes. She was going to explode—

One moment she was wreaking hell on Beatriz, the other she was being thrown across the floor on the opposite side of Beatriz.

"Stop it!" A voice boomed in between both girls, surging above the chaos.