Nax_00 review : Whirlwind

Book: Whirlwind

Author: softyhartz

Author: softyhartz

Reviewer: Nax_00

-----------

Whirlwind is a romance book centering around Alyson and her romantic interest, Ethan. When Ethan abruptly left Alyson for two years, she was heartbroken.

Until he suddenly came back.

---------

Title

The title makes sense plot-wise, and relates to the blurb, (Ethan swept into her life like a whirlwind) but it's definitely not the most original or defining. I actually searched and found many titles that were Whirlwind or similar to it; maybe work on that so it's more unique?

----------

Blurb

"Alyson Cox believes in fate, so when her ex, Ethan Richardson, shows up at the diner Alyson works in after two years of elusiveness, she doubts if they are fated to be together.
However, having Alyson only being able to work for one summer, wil Ethan come and go like a whirlwind again?"

♡♡

The blurb is effective in relaying the basic plot of the book (they were dating, Ethan left, she's heartbroken ect..) yet at the same time, it's extremely short and could be spiced up with some quotes from the book to make it stand out. The sentences are also very long and could be shortened by separating a few and making them more palatable to read.

The word 'fate' or some variation of it is also used twice in the first sentence, so maybe consider change it to 'destiny' or something else

----------

Cover

The colours and contrasts on the cover are simple and clear to the eye; a very pleasing palette that's not too bright or dull. However, it doesn't fully relay the chaotic feeling the title invokes. You'd think a title like 'Whirlwind' would have a cover to reflect that.

----------

The introduction:

The first paragraph starts off with a Victorian-style description that honestly made me think the book was taking place in the mid 80's - 90's, yet we get thrown into the 20th century immediately afterwards as My Chemial Romance is namedropped. I honestly admired the mood change! It felt like Alyson was being over-dramatic about her job and I absolutely adored that! It's a very enticing intro.