Ten.

Walking up the horrific path that led to the door which housed my nightmare, I remembered how filthy I felt and how much I needed to hop in a shower and properly scrub myself. Maybe today I'd multi-task and cry and shower at the same time.

The house was messy, as usual, but on the couch was a handbag. Definitely not mine. It was maroon in colour, one of those fancy crocodile skin bags, I figured.

I put my own bag down (my old black leather bag that I'd once gotten for 99 cents at a thrift shop) and headed to the kitchen for some water.

I heard giggling from upstairs and as if it only just hit me, I realised that a girl was in here with Randy.

I frowned and slowly walked up the stairs to find out what was going on.

"Shhh." I heard Randy say before he chuckled and let out a moan.

My heart hit my chest so hard, I was just waiting for it to jump out of my chest.

I swung the bedroom door open and my jaw dropped.

"R-Randy!" I shouted.

"What the fuck!"

He pushed the girl off him and he sat up.

I felt betrayed, honestly, and tears started forming in my eyes.

'You knew this was coming.' My inner voice said, and it was right. At the back of my mind, I did predict that something like this would happen.

I watched the pair frantically move about the room, retrieving their clothes, all the while Randy was cussing at me.

I watched the tall light skinned girl with the long silky hair walk past me. I didn't even have the strength to fight her because I'd given up already. She was flawless. What would I look like competing with that? I'd lose. I lost this game years ago but I hung on and at this point, I didn't really see why.

Randy walked up to me, roaring.

I stood there, frozen.

Today was the day I'd get killed, I figured. For what? For coming home earlier than usual. For coming home and interrupting this.

He took me by my shoulders and pushed me against the wall. It was a hard, fast action but I felt nothing even though my eyes gave in on me and gave way to my tears.

I noticed him speak to me but I heard nothing. And when I didn't respond, I got a blow to my face and that definitely woke me up.

"What the fuck are you doing back so early?!" He yelled at me.

I curled up on the floor and took the blows like a man.

I closed my eyes and cried out and with each blow, I got a flashback of my mom in this situation, years ago. I remembered a little me hiding under the dining room table as I watched my mom go through exactly this.

I don't know how long this went on but Randy eventually stopped. He stormed out of the room and left me lying there as I coughed and groaned in pain.

'This is it, Dileah.' My inner voice said, 'If you don't leave now, you'll end up like your mother.'

I slowly struggled to my feet and I held onto that cursed bed for dear life.

Should I shower now or rest?

'Get the hell out!'

But people would see me!

I went to the bathroom and ran the water in the shower. 20 minutes, that's all I needed. 20 minutes to clean myself up, to cry out and to think.