63. Playing hero

Yuta jumped up his heart pounding madly.

"What now?" asked Donghyuck grabbing Mark's arm.

"They want me, so take the terrace outside and run," said Yuta.

"No way I'm leaving you alone!" Sicheng took his hand.

"Sicheng!" begged Yuta.

"I'm not leaving you!" Sicheng looked into his eyes seriously and Yuta knew there was no way to persuade him to run.

"Ok. Mark take Dongyuck and run," said Yuta walking to the terrace door opening it.

There's a car on the driveway, whispered Mark.

"Just go," Yuta hit Donghyuck's back pushing him out.

He was watching how the boys sneaked along the house wall then ran down the terrace stairs.

He closed the door behind them than walked back into the room.

"Let's go to the library," he said pulling Sicheng behind himself when a window broke in the hall so they started to sprint holding each other's hand, turning around every few seconds.

Donghyuck was following Mark down the backside of the pool, he was so frightened as much for them as for the boys. He needed Yuta, he needed Sicheng, he needed then all to be safe. He saw Mark sprinting towards the gate, slipping through it so he did the same, but some people jumped out of the car chasing them.

"Here!" Mark pulled Donghyuck off the road into some bushes, the were hit by branches finding a way down a hill through a heavy thicket. Mark was pulling him, finding a way through the wild nature, but a man was close behind, so they quickened their crazy run falling out of the bushes to stop at the edge of the lake. Mark reacted immediately pushing a small wooden fisher boat into the water so Donghyuck hurried to help. They jumped inside grabbing the puddles pushing away from the shore with all force.

"Quick," whispered Mark panting heavily. They were getting out more and more into the dark cold lake, but a gun shot came and Donghyuck slammed the puddle into the water from shock when a series of shoots rang the air.

"Down!" shouted Mark so Donghyuck fell on the wood groaning loudly. The shoots were continuing with just a few seconds stops. A moment later something heavy landed on him and Donghyuck raised his eyes open to see Mark lying on him pressing him down.

"Are you crazy? What are you doing!" he shouted.

"Covering you," whispered Mark when Donghyuck felt even more fear.

"No, don't! You can't!" shouted Donghyuck pushing his elbow into Mark's ribs to get him off himself, but Mark didn't let go. The shots became closer and Donghyuck placed his arms around Mark hoping he can somehow cover that crazy idiot who was ready to risk his life for him.

His heart was banging so loudly in his chest mixing with Mark's crazy heartbeat, when another gun sounded ringing the horror of the night with echoes.

"What is it?" Mark jumped looking up.

"Mark!" shouted Donghyuck pulling him back down, their noses colliding on the way. Mark's face was so close he could almost feel his lips.

"Iiiii-t-sss old fisher Margrit shooting from his hunter gun," whispered Mark moving his face a few inches away. "It's our chance," he jumped up taking the left puddle.

Donghyuck needed a moment to get up rolling his sleeve up then placing his arm into the water trying to help Mark to navigate the boat further and further into the lake away from the shore, while the shoots were still ringing through the night.

"Run!" Yuta pulled Sicheng through a long corridor when a gun shoot hit a portrait on the wall above their heads, a glass vase broke into pieces, yet they managed to reach the last door on the far end of the hallway. Yuta let go of Sicheng falling inside looking for things he could cover the door with.

"Here!" he shouted so Sicheng run to him pushing a huge chest-drawer all the way to the door when Yuta ran to an oak table pulling it the same way. Sicheng hurried towards the huge bookshelf using all his strength to move it from palce. Yuta came to help until it fell covering the door, the books spreading all around the floor.

"I hope that will make," Yuta pulled Sicheng behind the fallen shelf both panting loudly.

"Yuta it's a trap, this room has no way out," whispered Sicheng glancing along the bookshelf covered walls of the library room.

"And no way in now," Yuta walked to the window looking out considering the hight, the pool was close yet too far, and even if they could reach it it was way too shallow.

"Yuta!" Sicheng's voice sounded very high when he heard a noise as if someone was using an ax to carve his way in.

Yuta glanced around, he suddenly grabbed the long curtain pulling at it until the fabric fell down.

"This won't hold us," muttered Sicheng.

"Do you have a better plan?" Yuta  took the other curtain down then began to tie them together making a knot like Taeil had taught him. He made a long rope out of velvet, then checked all knots.

"Help me with the table," he siad pushing the oak desk to the window. They tied the fabric around one of it's legs.

"Ok, you first," Sicheng's voice was trembling.

"No you first, I'll hold it," Yuta glanced the fabric in his hands when Sicheng sighed putting one leg over the windowsill.

"Go," begged Yuta walking to him, pressing his lips to the boy's quickly. "The bookshelf and the chest-drawer won't last forever."

He saw how Sicheng nodded before moving his arms and legs around the fabric then slipping down like a koala. Yuta was holding the end of that rope begging for his knots to stand. He saw Sicheng moving lower and lower till he reached the ground jumping on it smoothly.

"Yuta," he looked up to the boy, his eyes filled with fear and love.

"Run," said Yuta untying the knot from the desk.

"Yuta!" shouted Sicheng in horror, but Yuta just let the fabric fall out of the window when he stayed there watching the love of his life, who was crying loudly.

"I love you," he whispered observing those beautiful eyes that meant everything for him, but the killer wanted him, him only and he needed to do everything possible to save his Sicheng.

He felt how the chest-drawer moved an inch along the floor when he turned to Sicheng, who suddenly jumped to the pool side taking a metal pipe that way holding a rose bush out of the ground, looking up in a stubborn way before running to the terrace stairs.

"No! Sicheng no!" begged Yuta but he couldn't hold Sicheng back. He sank on the floor crying loudly, his whole world falling into pieces.

 He sank on the floor crying loudly, his whole world falling into pieces

Thank you so much for your beautiful feedback. Did you enjoy this action packed chapter? What do you think about Mark trying to save Donghyuck and Yuta's desperate act? What will happen to them?
Also 'Riding' is amazing. How do you like NCT Dream's comeback?
Much <3