34. Lake

Teail turned way and swore, a second later the motor howled and the boat made a big jump forwards, Ella fell off the bench hitting the deck painfully the torch rolled down the planks so she tried to collect it but landed flat on the floor again as the boat was making a sharp turn when something flashed by so quickly the icy water splashed on the deck.

Taeil was guiding the boat forward for a longer moment then changed direction again before slowing down smoothly, the motor became quiet and Ella collected herself from the deck while he ran to her helping her up.

"Everything fine?" he asked.

"What was it?" she was trembling madly.

"Pirates," he muttered.

"What?"

"There's a group doing some black trading on the lake, they're using such conditions to smuggle things without being noticed by the coastal guard. Ella you rescued our lives they would have crushed into us if you hadn't noticed," Taeil pulled her in a tight hug.

She was till trembling when he let go running to the radio while she took the torch concentrating on the signal counting again despite the pain in her bruised knees.

"Rosemary to Patrol one and two, a pirate's boat is going down through the 200 sectors," reported Taeil. "We've nearly been over-runned it has only one position light."

"Patrol 2 is going behind it, Patrol 1 is staying to help you," said Mr. Kim.

Ella rubbed her knees. There was just silence and darkness on the lake, she was watching out for any signals of light in the fog now, it has been so close.

She turned the torch east when she heard something.

"Taeil," she whispered.

"What?" he turned to her.

"There's something," she leaned above the edge of the boat.

They listened carefully when she was indeed sure there were distant sounds.

"Voices," whispered Ella.

"It must be them, keep holding the light," Taeil was checking the direction.

"We need just a little speed," he whispered moving the engine to life so smoothly he managed to keep the boat on a minimal speed changing the course then they stopped allowing the boat to be drifted by the waves.

"Help!" shouted someone so Ells shivered.

"We're here!" she raised her voice that echoed through the water.

Soon they saw a shape of a small boat, some people were moving on deck here and there.

"Shit," whispered Taeil turning his head when she put the torch down switching it off.

"What?" she asked.

"Guys jump out and swim to the boat now, were a the borderline of crashing into the stone wall!" shouted Taeil although Ella had no idea which why the mountains were.

"Now!" shouted Taeil so a man jumped, they heard a splash, soon the other two followed they were swimming in the cold waves coming closer to them.

"Ella help me catch them," said Taeil so they leaned out reaching for the first man, he nearly pulled her out into he water but Taeil managed to move his hand on the small ladder at the back of the boat.

"Move you knee up on at the ladder and lift yourself by your hands!" ordered Taeil so the man did.

Taeil helped him up when Ella reached the girl. It was very hard to get her out the lake, the third man was struggling to get the ladder but managed to grab it in the last minute. Taeil and the others helped him up.