Thirty

Grayson P.O.V

The sudden appearance of the unknown woman paused the scolding that we were about to receive from my future-father-in-law. My attention turned towards the unidentified woman, my eyes quickly glance over her, taking note of all her physical features and attire.

Her outfit stood out compared to what the rest of us were wearing. Instead of wearing causal clothing, she was wearing an expensive-looking red dress, the color reminding me of rubies. The entire dress shimmered underneath the natural lighting that came in from the entrance of the cave, which is where the lady was standing, leaning against the smoothed out wall. It took me a couple of seconds to put two and two together and realize who this lady could potentially be. Who else would have access to this cave and enter with such confidence?

Like his father, Marcus also took after his mother. His mother had midnight black hair that flowed past her shoulders, while Marcus had dark brown locks similar to his fathers. Facially, Marcus took after his mother more than his father, but Marcus's eyes were warmer than his mothers, more full of life.

"You guys were having a get together without me," Marcus's mother pouted, laughing faintly. To the naked eye, she was being playful, messing with them. But I looked past the fake-sounding laughter, noticing the coldness in her eyes. Her eyes didn't match the expression she was making. Marcus's father laughed with her, playing it off, but it was too late. I've already seen a small glimpse into the real version of this lady, the one hiding behind the fake smile. Although the two adults were laughing, none of us were. We stared at the lady with wide eyes, evaluating her every move and word.

When we first arrived at Marcus's trailer-mansion-house-thing, he had been more than anxious about running into a certain someone. I know now that that person was not his father, which left his mother being a potential subject. If only I had paid more attention while we were in the actual house. Then I would have known if there were any other family members that I needed to worry about. Until I knew more about this lady, I couldn't trust her. I couldn't trust any members of this family aside from my mate. After what his father just pulled, it would be a while before I'd be comfortable with bonding with my future-father-in-law.

"So," The lady stopped laughing, turning serious again. My eyes momentarily dropped to Marcus and Time, a protective urge filling me. This woman could be Marcus's mother, but I was not getting a good vibe from her. There was something off about her, and the longer I was around her, the more I came to the conclusion that she was the person Marcus had been hoping to avoid. "Who do we have here?" She turned her attention towards Jordan, Time, and me.

"Mom," Marcus tried to stop his mother from pestering, but she didn't seem to take the hint her son was giving her. Her cold eyes locked onto me, examining me like I had done her moments earlier. My entire body tensed underneath her gaze, wanting her eyes to leave me alone and go away.

Once Markus realized his mother wasn't going to back down, he let out a quick sigh, before quickly saying out names while pointing at each person.

"Rude, Marcus, I didn't ask you," The mother stopped him, glaring at him. "Let your friends introduce themselves, they aren't mute," Imagine if we were, that would be pretty awkward. Time chuckled quietly, gathering Marcus's mother's attention. He caught my attention too, but for a different reason. I was just glad he was no longer crying in pain. "And who are you?" She directed towards Time, pushing him into the being the first one to introduce himself. Time froze, his eyes widening, still visibly wet from crying. "Well?" She pressed even further when Time didn't immediately state his name.

"He's uncomfortable, I'm annoyed, he's hot, and she's a bitch, and we're leaving," Marcus snapped, helping Time off the ground, urging all of us to get up and leave. "Thanks, Dad," Agreeing with his motion to leave, I follow behind him, keeping a close eye on my mates.

The weird cliff-like space seemed less magical and tenser than before.

"Wait, what about my problem?" Jordan asked moments before we opened the door back into the trailer-mansion-thing. "I seriously need your fathers help with that. I need answers," Jordan pestered. Marcus sighed, one hand on the doorknob, the other holding Time.

"Some other time, Jordan, please," Marcus pleaded, opening the door, revealing the staircase back to the actual house. Although this seemed to anger her, she accepted it, stomping after him. I entered last, looking back at the cave for a final time. I left uncomfortable, after noticing that Marcus's mother was staring. I don't think I've closed a door faster in my life.

Once we were back in the house, Marcus let out a sigh of relief, eyeing the door with mistrust. He just confirmed everything I had been pondering over since the moment we stepped foot into this house. It had to be his mother who was making him uncomfortable, but why? Aside from her slight creepiness and overall overbearingness, there had to be something more that made even her son want to run away from her.

"What now?" I asked, reaching forward, lightly taking Tiny from Marcus's arms. My warlock wasn't weak physically, but I wanted to hold my injured mate, the protective urge stronger than ever, with him being hurt.

"Hopefully, a hospital," Time butted in, drawing my eyes to him. We all just looked at him like he was crazy, making him sigh in despair. "You guys may be able to magically heal yourselves, but it's pretty clear that I cannot, so I would like to be taken to a place that can assist with my injury," Time ranted. We all looked at each other, knowing it was the thing we should do, but we all still hesitated about it. I don't think I've ever been in a hospital outside of my birth. Supernaturals tended to lack the need to go to a hospital. Werewolves had stronger healing abilities than humans due to the constant shifts our bodies do. Warlocks could use magic to heal themselves with magic. Humans had nothing more than the medical system, and the little healing their bodies did naturally.

"Anywhere but here is perfect," Marcus said, leading us out of his house, closing the door to his home behind us, reminding me that this wasn't an enormous mansion, that it was a small looking trailer in reality. Outside, like before, a few other people walked around, sometimes alone, sometimes in groups of two or three. It appeared to be a tight-knit community, as everyone seemed to know everyone. I was particularly envious, as my pack was nowhere near this close with each other. It was kind of hard to have a close community when your leader is manipulative and controlling.

Time rolled his eyes, ending a slight glare towards Marcus. "Great to know that you agree with me," Time said sarcastically, looking up at me hesitantly before snuggling in closer.

Believe me when I say I squealed on the inside.