Ten

Grayson P.O.V

It was one of the few days that I didn't attend school, which was a rare and lucky thing for me. If only it had been for an entirely different reason. Initially, it was because my uncle said I couldn't, but I didn't sleep well at all throughout the whole night. The moment I would even manage to go to sleep, my inner wolf would flip out and begin to cause a ruckus in my head.

I don't like it when I am unable to get a whole night of sleep, and my inner wolf seemed to think it was appropriate to keep me up with anxiety the whole night.

It was lucky that I was at the packhouse that afternoon when the call from the school rang throughout the house. I had been one of the only members in the house. The males were almost always outside training or on patrol, and the females were with the pups. It was something normal for a werewolf.

I was more than glad that I was the one who managed to answer the phone. I answered the phone with the same tone as one of the adults, hoping I would come off as an adult instead of a teenager. I was more than surprised when the person on the other line said something about Jordan. It was the school that Jordan attends, informing me that Jordan fainted during lunch, mentioning words like 'fight' and 'bullying.'

I was immediately intrigued and concerned. It wasn't easy to knock a werewolf unconscious, but somehow, someone at school had managed to knock her out. She would have messaged me through the pack mind link if something was wrong, so she most likely didn't expect a fight to happen, or she didn't think the person she was fighting was anything to be concerned about. I was more than curious to see who exactly managed to knock my best friend unconscious.

So I did what any good friend would do. I decided that I'd come to school to pick her up. To be honest, it was more to snoop around, but it doesn't hurt to go and bring her home.

I, of course, ran to the school, but I had to do it in a humane way, without the assistance of my werewolf genes. I'm absolutely certain that a neat pile of cloth in my size would be waiting for me towards the end of the tree-line. It was fortunate for my sake that I run faster than a human can. It helped even more that I wasn't a normal werewolf, that I was an alpha, which made me even faster. I managed to get to the school quicker than expected.

The large wooded area that was between the packhouse and town made the run feel almost refreshing, shorter than the extensive runs I'm forced to do for training but longer than a typical run.

I was glad when I made it to town, even happier when I noticed a lack of a crowd. Even though I've lived close to this town, I have very rarely ventured into it. My parents didn't see a purpose to visit the town, and after they passed away, my uncle all but banned me from going. I've never figured out why either.

I walked down the aged sidewalks towards the high school, a sidewalk that I've only walked down a handful of times, and most were to attend events that Jordan demanded that I would attend. I would always have to get my uncle's approval of any of these trips, and he almost never gives me that permission. To me, he is a dictator and shouldn't have as much control over where I am allowed to go. I understand that he is my guardian and all, but if guardianship was decided by attention and care, anyone but my uncle would able to call themselves my guardian by default. The stupid man thought he was too high and mighty to raise his own nephew.

He is a pitiful uncle and alpha.

I would occasionally pass by people who were going about their daily lives, not giving me the slightest amount of attention. It was more than pleasing to not be recognized by anyone in the slightest. As if I was nobody to notice in the slightest. In the pack, the members tend to walk around me on eggshells. It was awful to be ignored by your own family, people you'd fight to the death for. It hurt knowing they avoid me on purpose.

I paused, temporarily halting in my walking stride. I'm certain that someone has got to notice my disappearance by now. Oh well, I was already out of the packhouse, I'm going to get scolded for it anyway, might as well do I what I intended to do anyway. If I was serious, Jordan was my pack. We sent all of our time together; we were almost never apart, aside from the time she attends school.

I got closer to the school, and the closer I got, the more finicky my inner wolf became. I couldn't figure out what was going on. There was a weird new skip in my steps pushing me further, urging me to get to the school as fast as I could. A small smile formed into a much bigger one.

I finally made it to the front steps of the school, a deeper concern for my best friend began to form, pushing me to climb up the stairs of the entrance of the school.

I must not have been paying enough attention to my surroundings because moments before I reached to open the doors, they flung open, and a person came crashing out of the building.

Small warm tingles traveled up my arms as the person I caught stopped in their tracks once we were both stabilized, the smaller teen boy that I caught glance up to meet my eyes.

The only thing that came to mind when I locked eyes with the guy, and that one thing made my heart skip a beat.

Mate.