Two

Time P.O.V

Well, isn't that great? Glancing around the empty classroom that I told the girl to meet me in, a sigh of annoyance left me. I hate when people ditch on me when we made the plans days prior. She can't blame me when it happens then. She didn't keep up with her end of the deal, and I won't either.

I had it back to my class, giving up on meeting with the girl. It was pretty clear that she wasn't planning on coming to the meet up we both agreed on. Maybe she doesn't care about having her high school life ruined by a dating scandal, and sure, it might not affect her in the long run, but people in this school took those kinds of rumors rather seriously. So what is the harm of letting the cat out of the bag? Even worse is I was giving her a chance to avoid letting the rumor spread, but she didn't take the offer I handed her. The chance to save her school social status is gone.

Now, all I need is for the other contestant in the whole mess to make her untimely appearance. The person who was going to make all this drama start and ignite within the school. She was popular, and she had something to do with the whole thing, second-handedly. She would spread the rumor fast and keep it burning for quite a while. I mean, what teenage girl likes getting cheated on? Now all she has to do is show up for class.

Thankfully, this girl was at school today. She just took her sweet time getting to the classroom, walking in mere seconds before the bell rang. She is lucky that this teacher is pretty laid-back about attendance; being a minute late doesn't really affect him as he doesn't start teaching until minutes after the bell. I liked this teacher for that, for being a little laid back but not enough that he was a push-over.

I couldn't help but smile as she sat all the way across the room, sitting with her group of 'friends.' I focused on her, more specifically, her thoughts. For someone who acted like all that, she was kind of boring. She didn't have much personality to capture my attention, making me wonder why she was so liked. Maybe she'd learn something from the events that are soon going to take place. Knock her down a few pedestals.

She's just lucky she isn't known for spreading lies, otherwise spreading this rumor would be more complicated.

Looking at her, I focused on her, attempting to temporarily block out everyone else, which is much harder than one would assume.

'Eww! Jess has a pimple on her the side of her face, does she not know what a face cleanser is?'

'Aww, look! Tim posted about us!'

Ahh, Tim. Tim was the third player in the game and the one who did the actual cheating. She wouldn't be saying Aww about Tim any time soon after she learns that her boyfriend royally cheated on her with someone she dislikes and looks down on. She'll one day be thankful they broke up because cheaters will always cheat again.

Ignoring every real thing, I planted the seed of truth in her head, small flashes of memory I took from Tim, proof of him cheating, and planted it inside of the girl. She had actually seen him cheat, seen similar messages before, but didn't acknowledge it because of whatever drug she had been on at the time. I was simply giving her the refresher she needs to see the truth.

'Tim's been cheating on you with Jordan,'

The effect was almost immediate. A smile spread across my face as the girl's dropped. Of course, my happiness was short-lived due to the sudden pain that started in my head. That was the take-away from using my ability to place memories, a horrible migraine. Reading thoughts didn't do much to me anymore; unless there were too many people at a time, then it could be overwhelming. It could hurt the person I was planting memories in, too, if I wasn't careful. The brain is a fragile piece of equipment to mess with.

With hooded eyes, I peeked back at the girl, watching her yank her phone out of her pocket, her fingers flying across the screen. The results must not have been what she wanted, as she seemed to get more and more distressed. Her friends seemed to notice her growing tenseness, asking her what was wrong. I watched as it spread, the news of the cheating. It might only be starting with those three girls, but it would spread faster than you'd imagine.

I heard the name of the girl Tim cheated on, Jordan, getting mentioned multiple times. Soon, the entire class was gossiping about it. I could have chosen anyone to mess with, but I decided Jordan out of her poor, unfortune. I stumbled into her a while back, getting snaps of thought and memory with that short encounter. Someone, a guy named Grayson, had caught my attention in the short memories I grab hold of. I didn't know anyone named Grayson, so the guy didn't attend our school. I had been intrigued.

When I last encountered with Jordan, when I gave her a time to meet with me, I had learned that she was also cheating. I didn't know when I first began to plan the spread of this cheating scandal that she had also been cheating. I believe her boyfriend attends this school as well, so maybe this would ignite anger further.

It was horrible that I loved watching the people who would be negatively affected by the truth try to cover up their lies. Most of the time, they never figure out who blabbed their secrets. It often broke friend groups apart with mistrust.

A perk of my strange ability was that by the end of the day, it won't just be a thought, it will become a permanent memory in her head. My planted memories tended to stick more than someone's actual memories. Aside from the proof that I planted in her mind, real evidence would make its appearance soon. I had been there when Jordan and Tim had their 'fun' with each other. I don't think they realized that they shouldn't cheat when people are able to watch, for instance, a high school party. I was rather lucky to be given multiple chances to take photos of them cheating.

Me being an introvert that would invite myself to parties I had no business attending was rather convenient for me. No one would notice if I disappeared from a party that no one invited me to.

I had printed out a photocopy of Jordan and Tim kissing on the dance floor of whoever's house, their hands in places they shouldn't have been. This photo was now placed inside of the girl, Lainny's, locker for her to find.

You know, they say that lies are beautiful. Beautiful lies and ugly truths. I think it's ironic that the truth, the thing that should be the beautiful one, wasn't seen as such. It was shocking how far people would go to bury the truth, covering it with lie after lie.

Too bad, you can't hide the truth from me.