Nineteen

Time P.O.V

I don't know what I had thought would happen. Apart of me had been hoping that Marcus would just leave me alone to wallow in my own self-disappointment. I glanced back at Marcus, trying to figure the guy out. I couldn't figure out why just being around this guy made a warm tingling feeling running up and down my back, my entire being warming just by being near him. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling. It was confusing more than anything. I just wanted to know why. I was more than certain it had something to do with magic, some supernatural thing that I wasn't aware of. As much as I have learned about supernatural things, there was still a lot that I didn't know.

I had been waiting for Marcus to say something when out of nowhere, a huge wolf came running from the distance out of nowhere. I let out a gasp of shock. At first, I thought my gasp went unheard as the wolf continued moving in the same direction for a few more seconds before skidding to a halt. The wolf turned around sharply, his tail wagging fast as he rushed over to Marcus.

Based solely on his size, this was no ordinary wolf. Normal wolves were smaller, especially in these woods. This wolf was huge, the biggest I've ever seen in real life or online. There was no way this could be a normal wolf.

The wolf was all up on Marcus, his tail flashing back and forth faster than my eyes could keep up with. The wolf had his tongue stuck out very similar to how a heated dog would. The wolf's energy reminded me of a hyper puppy, an overexcited puppy. Until I knew the name of this wolf, which I was confident was a werewolf, I'd refer to him as puppy.

Without seeing the werewolf's human form, I could already tell it was the werewolf guy from yesterday, the guy I had accidentally run into after running away from Marcus. The only reason I knew it was the same wolf was the closeness the two were sharing, even if it seemed like they didn't know each other the day before.

A new, even more, intense warmth flushed through my body, witnessing the interaction between the wolf and Marcus. It actually warmed my heart, the usually calm and steady beat of my heart sped up, getting faster then it was moments earlier. No one has ever made me feel such a way. I never gave such a reaction to two people interacting with each other. I could practically feel my cheeks flushing. I made myself look away because I felt as though I was intruding on their moment.

What's even worse, I managed to ruin the moment regardless. It wasn't an intentional thing on my part. My ankle decided at that moment to remind me that I had tripped and sprained it. A sudden, sharp flare of pain shot from my ankle, causing a small gasp of pain to escape. The accidental gasp caught both of their attention, their eyes snapping over to me in milliseconds. I jumped, startled by their sudden attentiveness.

The wolf had frozen upon hearing my gasp, a growl seconds from spilling from his muzzle. The aggressiveness seemed to disappear the moment it locked eyes on who it was actually growling at, and like with Marcus, the tail started up again. I don't know why, but the fact that the wolf was excited to see me made my heart warm even more.

Puppy rushed over to me, the wolf's eyes now filled with concern. His body lowered to the ground slightly, as if he was attempting to seem less threatening. If I were a human, I would have been screaming my mouth off, trying my hardest to get away from the wolf. I wasn't stupid though, if the werewolf wanted to kill me, he would have killed me yesterday when he had the chance.

Noticing that I was calmly staring back at the wolf, he moved closer. When I was within arms reach, he rubbed his head against my knew. The warmth of his fur made me want to pull him closer to absorb his body heat. It didn't seem like that would be a smart thing, though. Even if he hasn't harmed me yet, one wrong move could easily change that. Werewolves were part wolf, which meant they have wolf-instincts. Be my luck, such instincts would kick in the moment I put my hands on the wolf for any reason. I let the wolf rub his head against my knee before our eyes locked. He had small, sad-looking eyes, his moving from my face to my ankle, as if he was trying to portray that he was sad I received the wound.

He moved his head to lick my ankle softly, looking as if he was attempting to be as careful as he could with how much pressure he applied. The wolf turned his body towards Marcus, an accusing look in the wolf's eyes. Marcus threw his hands into the air, a look of defeat taking over his features.

"I tried to heal him! He's just stubborn!" Marcus groaned, pushing himself into a standing position. Marcus walked over to where I was sitting against the tree. I couldn't help but tense. I knew I shouldn't be scared of him, heck something inside me felt as if I should be trusting this guy with my life, not fearing him. Marcus noticed my tenseness, letting out a soft sigh.

Hey, you may not trust me, but after this whole ordeal, do you still think I'd hurt you?" His question was a logical one. I wanted to nod my head just to be stubborn about it, but I had a sinking feeling that the wolf would, in some way, scold me for lying. I slowly shook my head, fidgeting with my left pant leg. Many things could go wrong if the warlock actually had bad intentions for whatever he planned on doing to my leg.

A relieved expression appeared on the warlock's face.

'thank god.'

I looked at Marcus, hoping that it didn't show on my face that I was able to hear his inner thoughts. The things he thought but chose not to say.

'now, how in the world is he going to take the next conversation . . .'

That thought had me intrigued, mainly due to the fact that I had no idea what this next conversation was referring to. There were a lot of things that we could talk about to help resolve the tension created between the two of us, plus puppy. I think puppy picked up on my anxiety and confused it for fear of magic, because he moved his head towards mine, running his head underneath my chin, almost encouraging me to pet him. I took him up on his gracious offer, stroking the surprisingly soft feeling fur.

I barely noticed Marcus moving in to touch my ankle, but the moment his fingers came into contact with my skin, it was too late for me to react and move my ankle away. The moment his magic, making a physical appearance that of a green glow surrounding my ankle, I knew that letting this guy heal me was a big mistake. Marcus had such a focused look on his face; it was clear that I was the only one who had such a bad feeling forming in my gut. That bad feeling made it's appearance when the glowing green magic, magic that was supposed to heal me, flashed brightly, and the glowing magic shot everywhere. The magic shot everywhere but my ankle, and within seconds, my ankle's pain worsened.

Marcus yanked his hand away, the magic disappearing from the air. Once his hand was removed, I yanked my ankle away, pulling my other knee up to further protect myself. So much for healing me. The wolf looked as shocked as Marcus.

"If that is healing magic, then I'd prefer to heal by myself,"