70/ I've Had The Time Of My Life

Start from the beginning

"Maybe it'll turn out better than you think, maybe seeing each other face to face will be good for you."

Betty turns her head, looking around the diner as she waits for her order and she freezes when her eyes land on her mom. She stares for a moment, both of them just silently aching to talk to each other. Alice gives her a small smile which Betty returns, much to her surprise, and then she turns away again.

"Did you see that, FP?" Alice asks him excitedly. He smiles, she's so cute to him.

Betty thanks Pop and takes her milkshake, heading towards the door. Alice frowns when she sees that she's planning to leave, she was hoping she'd stay.

Betty pauses, staring down at her feet for a moment. She turns slowly in their direction and Alice grows hopeful.

She walks over shyly, playing with the straw in her to go cup. "Can I sit?"

Alice nods. "Of course."

The two teens stare at each other awkwardly as Betty sits down next to him.

"How are you?" Alice asks after a moment.

"I'm good. You?"

"I'm good. Better now."

Betty smiles a little.

It falls silent again and FP awkwardly clears his throat. "Why don't Jug and I give you two a minute?" He suggests, starting to move out of the booth.

Betty reaches for Jughead's hand, stopping him from getting up. "No, it's okay. You can both stay."

"You sure?" FP questions. "I don't mind giving you and your mom a little time to catch up."

"No really, I don't mind. I want to talk to all of you." Betty tells him.

FP seems surprised by the statement but sits back down anyway, inconspicuously taking Alice's hand under the table; wanting to offer her some comfort without making Betty uncomfortable.

"Is there anything specific you want to talk about?" Alice asks. "Any questions or... topics?" It's all so awkward. She's been thinking over and over what she wants to say to Betty but it feels like every thought she's ever had has fallen out of her brain.

She thinks on it for a moment. "Veronica told me you've been spending time with Jellybean."

Alice nods. "She came by for a surprise visit last week."

"Is she here?"

She shakes her head. "She went home a couple days ago."

"I take it she took the news of you two well? Probably a lot better than I did."

"You have your reasons for being upset. They're valid reasons." Alice assures her. "I'm sorry you found out how you did, that isn't at all how I wanted you to find out."

"How were you planning to tell me?" Betty asks.

"We were going to sit you both down and explain to you what's been going on." Alice tells her.

"Which is?"

Alice looks towards FP, silently asking him for help. "Well, um, Alice and I met a while ago-"

"Yeah mom said it was after the divorce was finalized."

He nods. "Yeah, it was. And um, well, I don't really know how to put it in a way that won't make you fee weird but it was supposed to just be a one time thing." Both of the kids cringe.

"But I was the one who suggested we keep it going on, I couldn't stop thinking about him." Alice adds, giving him a smile.

"So you've been dating this whole time?"