Harry asthma at home

In and out.

3:34 AM.

In and out.

With every breath, Harry felt his chest constrict as his lungs struggled. Each inhale felt shorter and more forced than the last. He was aware that focusing on his breathing would likely make the issue worse, but part of him felt like if he didn't concentrate on breathing regularly, he'd forget to. He felt his heart pound in his chest and his mouth grow dry as he tried to calm himself down.

In and out.

3:36 AM.

In and out.

The seconds dragged on, and they slowly began to feel like minutes. Harry would subtly clear his throat every once in a while, so he wouldn't cough and wake up his husband lying beside him. Louis was usually a heavy sleeper, but Harry didn't want to chance it. He repressed loud coughs and replaced them with smaller, quieter ones, but the buzzing in his chest didn't cease.

In and out.

3:45 AM.

In and out.

 Harry so badly wanted to sleep. Every time he tried, his breathing would pause abruptly and his eyes would fly open. The rattling in his lungs grew more obvious and more annoying as minutes passed. Harry had developed a strong urge to cough, so he slowly climbed out of bed. He grabbed his blue rescue inhaler from his bedside drawer, and crept into the living room.

He carefully closed the bedroom door and made his way to the couch. A breath of air squeezed its way into his lungs. Instead of exhaling calmly, a grating cough swayed Harry's tired body as he slowly sat down. He felt his chest hurt and the rattling continued, albeit not as bad as before.

Another jarring wheeze rattled his body, and Harry felt himself begin to take rapid, shallow breaths in between coughs. As he took the cap off of his rescue inhaler, he exhaled sharply, causing another grating cough to vibrate in his lungs. Harry felt his chest buzz with every breath as he shook the canister. He inhaled, taking a puff of the albuterol. Harry subconsciously straightened his back as he held his breath, placing the cap back on the inhaler and placing it on the coffee table.

After holding his breath for thirty seconds, he exhaled slowly. The rattling was gone, for the time being. As his breathing normalized a little, he felt his heart beat faster as his fingers began to shake. The albuterol started to fully kick in, and Harry knew that he was going to be up for a while after this.

His asthma rarely acted up outside of allergy season anymore, and when it did, it was only - to his convenience, of course - very late at night. Taking his inhaler meant extending the time he would've spent awake by at least an hour or two.

A sudden grating cough shook his body, and stirred up a dull pain in his chest. The dull pain grew sharp as an onslaught of harsh coughs rattled his exhausted form. Each cough was louder than the last, and his chest began to grow tight. His hands trembled from the albuterol, and he sighed heavily as another cough clawed at his throat. Harry knew that since he just took his inhaler, he'd have to wait at least 30 minutes to take it again. But in attempts to completely ease his discomfort, he heavily debated on just grabbing it and taking another puff anyways.

In the midst of his coughing, he didn't hear or see Louis creep out of the bedroom door. His husband frowned and recoiled in sympathy as he sat down next to him. Louis placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, making him aware of his presence. Harry slumped into his husband, his body feeling drained. Louis exhaled slowly and placed a gentle kiss on his husband's forehead. Another flurry of dry coughs shook his whole body, and Louis rubbed Harry's back in hopes of comforting him some.