Working Relationship

The next day, you were back in the teacher's work room and began to work over papers from your class and reports on their abilities. Some of them were doing excellent on battle training along with others doing better in rescue and other different heroic acts. You sighed and cracked your back as you sat back on the couch. You then pushed your papers aside and pulled out the file on Blood Fist. Despite it only being the following day, he had committed two more murders. JP Billboard had already labeled him as a S-Rank villain and the recent murders only elevated that status.

The door to the room opened and Midnight walked into the room.

(Y/N): Hey. Any progress?

Midnight: Not much. (She pecks your cheek) But I think I have a lead.

(Y/N): You know, I'm starting to think that you think we're a couple, but we aren't.

Midnight: Don't flatter yourself. I do this with everyone.

(Y/N): Oh. So that's how you got the job.

Midnight glared at you and slapped you along the spine and back of the head. You groaned in pain as Midnight placed her own file down onto the table. She opened up a map as well to get a better feel for the area. On it were 36 red circles, indicating where Blood Fist's had occurred. It was mostly around the downtown area, near heavily populated areas like clubs and bars.

(Y/N): Mostly were people wouldn't be completely sober...or defendable.

Midnight: Exactly. So it will have to be around any bars or clubs within the city.

(Y/N): Here. Bar on Echo Street.

Midnight: What makes you think that will be the best option?

(Y/N): Because look here. Places where people clearly aren't going to be sober. Easy to take out. There are very few witnesses, only one picture of him ever. So, if that pattern persists, then obviously a bar and or club with alcohol would be the next target. And the location of the bar is close to the last three hit points. So, he's moving bit by bit. Line of succession.

Midnight: We warn the bar then. If not them, then the police.

(Y/N): I'll make the calls. Ready for the fight?

Midnight: Ready as I can be. Bring your gas mask too.

(Y/N): Well someone's going to go all out.

Midnight: We're hunting down a serial killer. Might as well.

You nodded and watched Midnight walk over to a fridge and take out a small bottle of alcohol. You sighed as you watched as she took a small swig of the drink.

(Y/N): Leave it to you to immediately start drinking once the topic has been brought up.

Midnight: It's not because of the case. Just tired of some of those first years and the Sports Festival ref-ing and...god is just a lot of work.

(Y/N): I hear you. But I don't think drinking would be the best thing for-

Midnight didn't listen to you and began to drink from the bottle. She then crashed down besides you on the couch and pinched the bridge of her nose.

(Y/N): I also have no idea how there is alcohol here in this school.

Midnight: Sometimes, I need to drink my problems away in a place I feel safe.

(Y/N): I...You're just weird sometimes you know that?

You turned back to Midnight only to see her drinking down the bottle. She looks back at you and stopped drinking. She quickly placed the bottle away and gave off an awkward giggle to you. You rolled your eyes and pinched the bridge of your nose in a bit of frustration. Midnight saw this and sunk down into the couch.

Midnight: Sorry.

(Y/N): Your stress level is off. Wanna talk to me about it?

Midnight: I'm just nervous. Yeah, the fact he's coming after me is scary. But I must push on. It also doesn't help with the amount of work the school has me doing. It's just...it's just a lot.

(Y/N): I know you are nervous. I'm even more so. Nemuri. I...I care a lot about you. So much. And-

Midnight: I know, (Y/N). I know. And I thank you for that. But I'm not defenseless and I can-

(Y/N): And I know that. Just...I'm just saying is all.

Midnight looked at you as you hunched yourself forward. She placed her hand on your back and slowly moved it down to your arm and finally grabbed your hand and held it tightly. You also squeezed back a bit and looked over to her. She offered you a small smile in support. You smiled back at her, but you both knew it was a fake smile. Something to reassure her that everything will be ok. You had no idea if it worked or not but the effort was still there.

The room stayed quite as you both just sat there with your hands together. You had honestly no idea what to do from here. You wanted to reassure her that everything would be alright. But, you both knew that was an optimistic falsehood. You closed your eyes, almost squeezing them shut as you tried to quell your anger. Your grip slightly must have tightened because Midnight began to squeeze back. You released your grip since she clearly had a far superior one, slowly crushing your hand.

Once you released yours, Midnight slowly began to release her own. Once again, you both just sat there in silence. The worry about the villain was obviously the forefront of your mind, he was threatening hundreds and was targeting your girl- Your friend. Yeah. You reached over and gathered up your papers and got them into their folders as Midnight slowly did the same. Once you got your files together, you quickly stood up and turned back to her and tipped your hat.

(Y/N): We'll get this guy, Nemuri.

Midnight: I know, (Y/N). Doesn't mean I won't be worried though.

(Y/N): As one should be. Until next time.

You then walked out of the room and left Midnight on her own. Once you got back to your own classroom, you crashed down at your desk and signed to yourself. You took a deep breath and looked back at the map you managed to get from Midnight. By get, you stole it in reality but who really cares?

You looked over every detail you could about the map, locations, trends in the murders as well as patterns. You knew Midnight had to have contacted the police given the information and predicted location for the next killing. You groaned in annoyance and took off your hat and rubbed the back of your head. You knew exactly what you wanted to do. You were weighing in on your options.

Ultimately, the decision was made and you knew what you were going to do. You had a fresh deck of cards in your drawer on your desk. You grabbed your current deck and cracked your knuckles and slowly waited for the day to be over so you could go to work. You were going to take down Blood Fist tonight.