Impressed by her...

Start from the beginning

She opened her laptop and started working upon some three year old completed project that she, along with her group, had been assigned to prepare a report on. She had to analyze the project assigned, on her own, list the shortcomings, if any, and make it into one complete report, with all the conclusions that she might have found, by doing the analysis. It was, as Mr. Hammond said, 'seeing the projects in a new light.'

It was something that she loved doing with all her heart, because nobody directed or ordered her to do it their way, it was wholly based upon her own judgment.

But today, she felt distracted. The whole drama kept playing in her mind, throughout the whole time, and after many futile attempts to dislodge it from her brain and concentrate upon whatever was written on her screen, she closed her laptop, wiped her eyes and got up to go home. She desperately needed rest, a big headache was coming on and she just couldn’t bear being in this place anymore, for now.

Just as she was going to push open the main doors of her office building, somebody shouted her name from behind her. It was Jennifer. She came towards her panting. “Thank God, I found you. Where have you been? We were searching everywhere for you. Mr. Hammond has called a meeting. He must have texted on your cellphone to inform you. Don’t you check up your phone, ever?” she asked irritated. “Sorry, I guess, I must have switched it off by mistake” Zahra replied, not feeling even a little bit guilty.

“We didn’t begin the meeting because Mr. Hammond told us wait for everybody to get there as it (the meeting) wasn’t actually on our schedule for today. But, after ten minutes had passed, and everybody else had settled in their seats and yours was still empty, he asked one of us to go and look for you. Now, let’s go quickly, everybody’s waiting.”

“But, what exactly is the meeting about?” Zahra asked impatiently, as she was ushered back into the lift by her friend. “Oh! Yes, I forgot to tell you. You remember the gala event I told you about. It’s on the day after tomorrow. We have to be there, no matter what. So, he called us to discuss the dress codes for it, or more like, tell us what they will be. I hope that they’ve selected something nice for us to wear. I don’t wanna look like a fool in my first party over here.”

“What difference does it make to me? I’m still going to wear my abaya….if, that is to say, I’ll even be coming on that day” Zahra replied, sulkily. “Well, I don’t suppose you’ll be allowed to skip the event. As for the abaya thing, you can ask Mr. Hammond about that, if you like. Hurry up, Zahra. You are extra slow today.”

“Ah! So you have come. Do take your seat, Ms. Fatimah. I’m afraid, I thought you must have, somehow, slipped out and gone home” Mr. Hammond said, with an amused expression on his face. “As a matter of fact, sir, she actually wasslipping out when I, thankfully, caught her, otherwise we’d have lost her for the day” Jennifer quipped up, glad to be of some use, for once. “Good work Ms. Riley. So, now that you’ve all gathered over here, let’s get started.”

As the meeting ended, it was confirmed that, at least, Zahra was not going to be there. She had made up her mind now and nothing was going to make her budge from her decision. The dress code was horrific. For females, it was to be a black knee length dress, with same color of slacks, and they could modify it to their own tastes as long as they kept it sober, paired with classic- heeled shoes which too were to be of black color and white overcoats, if they found it necessary, due to the cold. As for men, it was the same old tuxedoes with white shirts underneath.

As she made her way outside, towards the main road, to look for a taxi, Zahra heard her phone ring once…twice, and when it rang for the third time, she got it out of her bag, angrily. Who was it now!!!? But, when she saw the screen, she couldn’t believe her eyes. Walworth Jr.! Why was he calling her now?