Life goes on... (Part - I)

No one could understand the pain the woman was going through, as she waited with baited-breath for the doctor's verdict on her husband. The home she'd strived hard to build with love and care these past twenty-four years or so was crumbling before her very eyes... and she couldn't do a thing about it. 

The merciless killers were patrolling around the whole area, terrorizing anyone and everyone passing by. Taking everyone hostage until they had the signal to clear out, the brutes had shown no mercy to the weakest of protests by the patients at the Hospital. The past ten minutes had been hell for everyone.

The top 'boss' had showed up at the hospital out of nowhere just when they had arrived. Shouting and screaming in hoarse voices had ensued afterwards, and the front-runner who had brought the gang over to the place had been shot repeatedly in the knees by an angry Conan. He knew it was a grave mistake on his part to let things go askew, the kind the mystery man wouldn't let go that easily. He had specifically asked for the couple... and not just for the woman, for she wouldn't have known half of what her old man knew. The 'boss' had been extremely angry at the mission leader, and had only calmed down moments ago. He was secretly afraid for his own life.

And the uncertainty, the insecurity, the fear... when Zareena couldn't take any of it any longer, she cried out, her hands entwined in earnest pleading, "Please let me talk to the doctor, I beg you. I... I wouldn't go anywhere, I promise. Just let me see my husband once, please." Conan clicked his tongue impatiently. 

"Do you think I love doing this? Handling an overly emotional and, not to forget, a 'cracked' duo? No one's allowed to go in, woman! So shut it with the whining!!" He was fuming with anger and the suspense was keeping him on edge.

"If you can't be any help, either answer the lady respectfully, or keep your dirty mouth shut altogether, got it?" Avi scoffed angrily. All this time, she'd been trying to control herself from doing anything that might get the two, beloved people in her eyes, into any sort of predicament. But she couldn't take it all in and stay quiet anymore. Moreover, she didn't want to get the attention on herself because the moment their boss had entered the scene, she had sensed trouble coming her way. The man had been roving his eyes all over her openly and frequently.

"You are a feisty one, aren't you?" he said, now addressing her, and tilted Avi's face towards the light to take in her face properly. She swatted his hand away, and hastily distanced herself like he was some disease. "Don't you dare touch me, you freak! Keep your hands to yourself." "Now... now, you wouldn't want me to shove this lady beside you, in my car and drive off. That too without letting her see her beloved husband one last time before I finish him off for good. Would you?" He held her hands in his in a tight grip as he whispered to her, making Avi whimper in pain. She slowly shook her head in answer. 

"Very well then, keep your big mouth tightly clamped in place. You would save yourself and every human being in this building a shitload of trouble if you do so," he said and immediately released his grip, making the girl lose her balance and stumble backwards.

At the same instant, the door to the OT opened and the doctor came out. His face was tired and wan with so much hard work that gloom spread throughout the whole corridor within a few seconds. Zareena hastily ran to his side, anxious to know how her better half was, if, he was still alive. She was afraid the news wasn't one she was prepared to hear. "What happened, doctor? Is...is he alive?" she asked. The old man didn't say a thing.