Engaged!

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IF YOU LIKE IT :) It will bring a bigg smile upon my face

“Yes Zahra. Any luck with the case so far?” Michael Walworth asked, picking the phone at the first ring. Was he waiting for her call? “No sir,” she replied, her voice quivering with emotion. “Is everything okay?” he asked, immediately getting both concerned and cautious at the same time. “I…I can’t continue with the case,” she stated, taking a deep breath.

“My father’s severely ill… and I don’t want him to die before seeing him at least one last time.” “I am deeply sorry to hear that Zahra. And yes, you definitely need to go. Things will be taken care of, alright. You relax, don’t get hopeless and go see your dad,” he replied, assuring her in every possible way that her job wouldn’t be snatched away from her. “Thank you very much, sir.”  

“Your destination, miss” the cabbie said, making Zahra break out of her thoughts. “Oh….yeah” she said and got out, thanking him while giving him his fare. Her vision was a blur, her mind dazed. All kinds of memories were coming on at such a rapid speed, that she felt she was getting slapped on her head with them, making it explode in pain. Reaching the door of her apartment, she knocked impatiently.

She had taken more time than she thought she would. And hadn’t had anything to eat for six hours straight on top of that. She felt nauseated with hunger pinching at her stomach. What was the matter with Laura? Couldn’t she walk a bit quicker? Just as Zahra thought she was going to fall with all her energy drained out in tears, Laura opened the door. Just in time to take Zahra into her arms. “Hey Zee… what happened? Are you alright??” she asked, her voice panicking.

Cupping her face in her hands and examining it closely, she asked, “Why in the world are you crying? Have you had your dinner?” Getting a negative answer, she exclaimed “You haven’t! Come, sit here and I will fix you something to eat. The whole story can wait until you have some solid in your stomach” she said, bringing her to a chair and closing the door to stop the cold air from chilling the place.

She wondered what had happened to make her so weak. Poor girl. Her heart overflowed with sympathy and sorrow for her, as she hurriedly broke the eggs on to the frying pan, working extra fast so that she wouldn’t become dizzy with hunger and weakness.

“Here, take this. You’ll feel better,” she said kindly, while handing her a plate of toast and a glass filled with juice. “And then you can decide if you want to tell me or not.” “I have to work so… I need to go. Call me if you want anything okay,” she said, and walked towards her room. “Laura,” Zahra called in a weak voice while chewing her food.

“Yeah?” Laura said, questioningly. “My dad. He’s very ill and I have to go. My mom needs me,” she told her friend in a voice trembling with emotion. “Oh! I’m so sorry Zahra,” was all Laura could say, after hearing the news. “Could you help me pack my things and book a flight for me?” Zahra asked. “Yeah. Sure. When do you have to go?” “Immediately.”

“But… you need to rest. You can’t go in this state of yours,” Laura said, trying to make her realize her situation. “You have to hear me out this time, Laura. Please just do as I say,” Zahra begged, getting impatient with her. And with much reluctance, her friend agreed. As the night turned into morning, it saw Zahra catch the plane back to India.