The Proof of his Affection

Dedicated to @how-about-no for her book 'Boys? Ew' was the very first book I read on Wattpad, and it eventually inspired me to write a story of my own :)

Plz VOTE + COMMENT + PROMOTE

____________

Zahra was eagerly waiting for the next day to arrive, for it was to be the day when she would be relieved from the ties of her bed. It was to be the day when she could make full use of her legs and move without any support. Oh! What pleasure, to walk freely, without any danger of falling down or hurting the now healing limb. But the doctor had advised her to be careful, not to put too much stress on her legs, and not stand for too long at a stretch.

After about two and a half months of bed rest, under Laura's able and persistent care, Zahra's health had flourished and the color had returned to her pallid cheeks. Her doctor had finally gave her the go-ahead to resume going on about her usual routine, and make good use of her almost stiff legs. She couldn't rule out the help she had received from her superior, the Walworth Jr. and she felt tied to him by the bonds of indebtedness. She had never liked to owe anything to any human being, ever. She wanted to be independent and make her own way in the world. And this particular debt was taking a toll on her mind.

Zahra had decided she would return him the money he had paid for her treatment at the hospital. Laura had been fervently against it, because she knew he would never take back the money. But when that stubborn head had decided on something, nothing could dissuade her from it. "You think too much Zee," was her quiet argument, and she didn't speak anymore.

Laura had been very much afraid these two months, lest someone might suddenly barge into their apartment and attack them, but she kept her fears hidden from Zahra. She felt the incident she had witnesses at the Hospital come to her lips many a time, but she held it back, and never breathed a word. It would alarm Zahra extremely and she would worry herself to death, which she knew of perfectly well.

Sometimes, she had felt as if they were being watched but she hadn't been able to find any suspicious character anywhere near their apartment building, and she had dismissed it as the work of her own wary imaginings.  Nevertheless, she would always tuck Zahra comfortably well, close all the doors and windows of her room, leaving just one open upon Zahra's ardent entreaties, and double-check the lock on each door. "What are you so afraid of?" Zahra asked her worriedly, again and again. "Do you fear that the aliens will attack us or some psychopath would slip in and kill us in our sleep?" "Shut up, okay. Don't utter such ominous things like that so late at night," Laura always chided her severely. She was very much frightened that the latter might prove true.

"Who do you think was that man at the Hospital, David?" Laura asked him one day, when he came to check upon them without Zahra knowing about it. She was still quite cool with him, although she never stopped him from coming. "I don't know, really. But I'm trying to find out. He looked pretty mercenary, if you ask me," David replied.

David had come in casuals that day. He was wearing a black Armani tee-shirt, khaki cargo pants and a black leather jacket. The ensemble looked remarkable upon him. And, it was with extreme reluctance Zahra sullenly accepted the fact that David was a very handsome and a well-built man. She imagined how he looked when he was shirtless, but shook the thought out of her mind with disgust. Astaghfirullah. How could she ever think such a thing?!