Sinking in deeper...

Dedicated to @RandomAwkwardMuslmah a girl whom I've never been able to thank enough... thank you so much girl for ur wonderful support :) And dedicated to all those who've so anxiously waited for an update... here is it.

UNEDITED

PLZ VOTE + COMMENT + SHARE>>>

_______

At some point in her search for the blue folder and key, tears had begun to make way down Zahra's cheeks. She kept desperately throwing her things this way and that in the already messed up room, hoping that the said things would magically appear underneath some misplaced cloth or overturned chair. She had to wipe her eyes with her sleeves ever so often as they became bleary with every fresh batch of salty tears. She had looked for them everywhere... even under the bed.

But she never laid eyes on them anywhere in the room, or even outside it. Zahra had been reciting the prayer for lost things under her breath ever since she began the search, but it wasn't working. Maybe she wasn't focused enough... because it always, always worked. Ya Allah! What was she gonna do now?

"I told him not to give me that kind of a job. I told him I wasn't cutout for this. But he just didn't listen," she whined, muttering agitatedly with a kind of frustration in her voice. Maybe it was time she told Mr. Hammond about this. She could imagine all those mean people snickering and laughing openly at her the moment they came to know about it. How would she face them?! Just the disturbing thought of it made her breath hitch in her throat.

So, when the poor girl couldn't hold it anymore, she tiredly sat on the edge of her bed, and wept her heart out. Why were all the bad things always written in her share of fate? She couldn't comprehend who could be this evil to her. Whom had she wronged so much in life that they just couldn't stop hurting her in every way possible?

Zahra sat there, with her head in her hands trying to not think and repent of the moment she had accepted that job, when her phone rang clear and loud. It was an Office number. She began to panic. What would she tell them? Oh! She had dreaded this moment. Nevertheless, she slowly picked up the phone and swiped it to attend the call. "Hello? Ms. Fatimah? Are you there?" A wave of relief passed through her as she heard the calm voice of her former supervisor from the other side. She couldn't handle hearing the mean words of anybody else, or she would break down once again, right into the phone. "Hello? Ms. Fatimah?" he asked again. "S...speaking, sir," the girl let out in a weak voice.

"Is everything alright? Where are you? And why exactly haven't you come back yet? It's been three hours!" The man was clearly frustrated with her. Had she been gone for that long? She hadn't noticed. But... what was she supposed to say? That she had lost all the data? Or the two most crucial things needed to proceed to the next stage weren't in her possession anymore? Answering any of both ways would probably result in her banishment.

If she would tell him now, it would certainly anger him. No, she was determined to find them on her own, In sha Allah. She just had to buy some more time. She would carry out a more thorough search of her apartment. Surely, it wouldn't have disappeared into thin air!

"I...I was not feeling well, sir. So, I...um... I decided to use the restroom," Zahra tried to come up with a plausible reason for leaving in such a hurry. "I was very much dazed when I came out. So, one of my friends sent me home in a cab." How she wished it had been this simple! "Oh!" was all the man could come up with. "I'm sorry, sir. I completely forgot about the meeting. I'd been sleeping all this while. Your call just woke me up." It scared her, the way she had lied so easily.