Amend

Chapter 24

-Amend

   After a much needed and surprisingly well-rested sleep, the Uchiha wakes up feeling far more refreshed than usual. Even though shards of broken resentment creep in the trenches of his mind, he notices how much more peaceful his soul seems. While he may have had trouble attributing the cause of this before, he very well knew it was directly related to Sakura and her effect on him.

   Guess I'm not dreaming, I really did say and mean all those things. It makes me wonder... what if Sasuke was in a similar situation as me. Would his soul be at peace too? Shizake questions to himself. He immediately brushes the thought, feeling the encroaching shadows that float within the recesses. Even thinking about Sasuke brings back old wounds.

   A knock at his door breaks his train of thought, sleepily walking to his door. He opens it up to see Sakura standing there with a bright grin.

   "Sakura? I wasn't expecting you this morning," The boy says. He immediately rotates to the right slightly as his ANBU tattoo is blatantly visible.

   "I thought we could spend the day together again... if you'd like. I have another day off before... well..." The girl offers, trailing off.

   The Uchiha tilts his head, "Before what?"

   "I'll tell you later, so will you come?" She asks.

   Shizake coolly grins, nodding his head, "Just give me one moment."

   After quickly cleaning up, the two of them make their way from the Uchiha's apartment complex to the center of the village where they grab breakfast. They make small talk while Shizake continues to get used to having her around him much more often. Even though he's glad she's around he had no idea how tough keeping casual conversation was. However, the few moments of silence they do encounter remains absent of awkwardness. While other people may find such a thing unnerving, the two simply enjoy each other's company.

   Once done eating, they make their way around the more natural areas of the village. Lush fields of park sprawl out around them with playground equipment dotting various different areas. Sweet spring breezes flow melodically causing trees to sway and bushes to rustle. Shizake and Sakura come to rest upon a park bench, sitting closely to one another. Sakura rests her head on the Uchiha's chest, listening to the sound of his beating heart. It seemingly calms her, almost like a soothing song to lull a child to sleep. She closes her eyes with a smile, fully content. Shizake lies back in the bench, staring up at the clear blue sky. He takes time to admire the large wisps of cirrus clouds as they arc into the sky but also notices that mostly sunshine graces the village as well as the land of fire.

   "ssssAAAAkkkuuuurra!" A voice eerily groans from behind.

   The pinkette leaps out of the bench, startled from the spine shivering noise. Instantly recognizing the voice, she begins tugging on her gloves with a glare, "Naruto..." She lowly grumbles.

   Shizake lazily turns his head, noticing the blonde with a big dumb smile across his face, "Hehehe," he chuckles. "Shizake what're the two of you doing out here?" Naruto asks.

   The Uchiha goes to open his mouth but finds he's at a loss of words, unable to explain. Sakura steps forth, looking as if she's ready to beat Naruto into the pits of oblivion.

   "We were just relaxing you idiot," She scoffs, "Why'd you have to scare me like that?"

   "Ahh I was bored. I was just walking around the village, y'know? Then I saw you two from behind," Naruto explains.