1.6 - A Dash of Tyranny

My mouth drops open. A Seer?!

"I'm a...a Seer?" I ask.

"Yes. You have visions, don't you? They usually start when a life-changing event is suppose to occur...and after that, it shows you towards something you may be meant for." She stops. She must've seen how sad I looked.

"So...that day...the day when...my life changed...that was my powers acting up?" I waver.

She nods sadly. "I'm sorry for saying that, you don't have to talk about it."

"N-No, it's fine. It's just..." I hug myself for comfort. "It feels like....things have just....happened for a reason..." I murmur. I feel tears burning my eyes and I wipe them away, gritting my teeth to choke back sobs.

Suddenly, I felt lightheaded. It must be my visions acting up. I could still see it in my dreams....

Police Sirens.....

Screaming and Crying...

The wailing of the ambulance...

And the carnage...

I gasp as the visions stop. I'm on my knees, my hands on the floor, a small pool of tears drip onto the floor below me.

I look up at her as she kneels before me, embracing me. I fall into her arms. Letting the warmth embrace me.

"It's okay, my dear. I know you couldn't stop it....none of us can....we can't change fate...but still...you're much like your sisters and brothers: we've all endured hardships that have made us into the people we are. Especially with how it began...."

"How...how did it begin?" I ask. I wanted anything to get my mind off that day and how they, The Coven, came to be. "And...who are you?"

"I am Ophelia, your guardian and the one who can help you achieve your potential." She nods, understanding me. "But to understand where we're going, you'll need to see for yourself.

"You're no ordinary Seer, Charlotte. You're what is known as a Lyastra, a woman that harbors the powers of a seer and spell Master." Several figures of women wearing cloaks and holding different magic artifacts stood in a circle around us. Their faces were concealed under the hoods.

"Back then, the Lyastras were a powerful race, who had helped many in times of poverty and war. They helped the rich, poor, young, old, everyone. Mostly as healers and enchanters. They saw everyone as equals in their eyes and treated them with respect. Soon, more and more had decided to learn their ways of enchantment and spell-crafting to save their families. Most were girls, whom at the time weren't allowed do any labor, and decided to work in secret without any men knowing. They had all banded together over time, and were soon called 'The Coven'.

"However, with powerful magic...comes a person who'll steal it at all costs. There was a person known as the Dark Lord, who was known for his wicked deeds across the lands. He slaughtered the innocent, men, women and children and the elderly. He plundered their riches and killed anyone who stood in his way. Oppressing rulers and killing their armies with his own. He was a force whom all feared.

"One day, he was told by a witch that he will lose everything he had worked hard to achieve to one who sees all. This didn't bode well for him. He grew angered and feared that the prophecy will come true. Therefore, he vowed to seek out any and all who wielded magic and kill them. He went so far as to sell his soul to a demon. He gained more power than ever. The Lyastras at the time we're hidden in plain sight, and soon the Dark Lord caught them. One by one, they were executed. All by his hand. But three young women, much like your age, had escaped and survived his genocide. They had taken what their remaining sisters had given them and used their spells, talismans and more to fight back and killed every last one of the Lord's men. Soon, they had the Dark Lord cornered. And together, combining all their magic, used a very powerful spell that had obliterated him: body, mind and soul. The Dark Lord was no more, his kingdom fell and the lands were finally at peace.