Chapter 16: Suit Shopping

"Will you. . .will you. . ." He begins.

He's going to ask you out!

"Will you help me pick out a suit for the dance on Saturday?" He asked.

I got my hopes up for nothing. Maybe the kiss didn't mean anything to him. I would understand why. I'm stupid and ugly.

"Sure," I say weakly. I feel sick. Why did I think he wanted to ask me to be his girlfriend?

"I have to go," I manage to say.

Don't cry now. . . cry later. . .

I think to myself.

"Okay I'll see you later," He said.

I hurry out the door without saying a word. I run over to my house and I run up to my room and slam the door shut. He didn't even mention the kiss. It was so magical. Like we were the only two people in the world. I smile to myself at the thought of it. Then I tear up thinking that I was so foolish to think that he would ever ask me out or for me to be his girlfriend.

I go up to my window and close the blind. I don't want Troy to see that I've cried. I go back onto my bed and let the tears pool out. At least he didn't ask about Bea. There's a bonus.

I cry for about two hours. I look at the clock and it says eleven thirty. I should go to sleep. I decide not to change out of my clothes. I curl up into my covers and fall asleep instantly.

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I'm so tired. . .maybe you should just stay home. . .

I get up with all of my strength. I go to my closet and put on a long sleeve shirt and ripped skinny jeans. I go to the bathroom and brush my hair and teeth. I decide to put an effort into my hair. I put it into a side braid. I look into the mirror. I am not happy. I look tired.

I look away and I go downstairs to get my book bag. I don't eat breakfast because I'm not hungry. I put on my old converse and my jacket. I rush out of the door.

"Hey Carolina," Troy shouts.

I look up to see him standing in his driveway. My heart skips a beat. Oh no . . . This can not be happening. . .  How could I like him. . .why. . .

"Hi Troy," I say as I walk over to him.

"Will you come with me to find a suit for the dance after school?" He asked.

"Sure," I reply.

"Get into the car. My dad will drive us to school," Troy explained.

I nod. I follow into his dad's car. I feel bad for letting them take me to school. I need to give them something in return. I have some money saved up from some jobs I've done for different people. I think about the different stuff I could give them. I hadn't realized that Troy was trying to get my attention.

"Carolina. . .Is Carolina there?" He asked playfully. He waves his hand in front of my face.

I fall out of my daze and look at him.

"I'm here. I was just thinking about something," I reply.

"You're probably thinking about me!" Troy said.

"You wish," I snap back.

"Kids now, no need to argue. Anyway, we are at the school," His dad interrupted.

I say thank you to him. Troy and I get out of the car and go inside of the school. We go to our lockers. I remembered that I have tests in all of my classes. Today is going to be boring. Troy walks me to class and says good bye to me.

The school day was the most boring day I ever had. I had tests in all of my classes which to me, is torture. I walk out of the school and meet Troy by his dad's car.

"Ready to find me a suit!" Troy says happily.

I roll my eyes. I hate shopping.

"I guess," I say nervously.

Troy and his dad laugh at that comment. They almost have the same laugh. That is weird. Troy and I hop into the car and next thing you know, we out at the suit place.

"You two good luck. I hope you survive Carolina!" His dad says. He drives off. What does he mean when he says good luck? I look at Troy in confusion.

"What did your dad mean when he said good luck to me?" I ask.

Troy gives me a toothy smile.

"You'll see," He says.

We walk into the place. Suits are everywhere. Troy walks up to a man. The man asks if he had an appointment. Troy responds with a yes. Troy and the man start to walk over to the different suits. I quickly follow. The man brings down at least six suits. Wow that's a lot of suits.

I am currently sitting waiting for Troy to come out wearing the fifteenth suit. You have to be kidding me.

"Troy, you have to pick one out. All of them look really nice on you," I say encouragingly.

"I haven't found the right one," He whines.

"Now I know why your dad said good luck to me," I say.

Troy comes out in the suit. He looks so handsome.

"You're perfect," I blurt out.

I didn't mean to say that out loud! I put my hands up to my mouth. I feel my cheeks redden.

"I know I am!" He replies.

Wow I brought he's ego up even higher than it need to be. Great. Please not my sarcasm.

"You found one so get that one," I respond.

"You think?" He asked.

"Yes for sure. It's perfect on you," I reply.

"Fine. I'll get this one. This is the only one that you commented on, so it must be good," He said.

"Thank the lord! I finally can get out of here!" I shout.

People start to look at me.

"Hey! If you had to sit here and watch your friend try on more than ten suits, then you would be shouting," I shoot at the people who were looking at me.

They all look at me once more and then go back to whatever they were doing.

"Ready to go?" Troy ask.

"Yes!" I say.

I run out of the shop and wait for Troy to catch up.

We go and wait for his dad to come.