Epilouge

Six years later

Owen -

            "Lilac, how do I look?"

She turned to face me in the mirror, then gave me a small smile and stepped up.

"I think," She started, fixing my tie, "That you look like the father of a bride."

I sighed and pressed my left hand into my right - both of which were clammy.

"Is it that obvious?"

She laughed gently and adjusted her dress. Then, she took my hand in hers and we walked outside together.

"Honey, just calm down and remember who we're here for." She said as I locked the front door, "It's Carter and Cameron we're talking about. These are the sweet, smart kids you've known for years. What's there to be nervous about?"

We climbed into the car together and I started the ignition.

"I'm not nervous about them, I'm just..." I trailed off.

She rested her left hand over my right. "You don't want to believe that the little baby Carter you saw be held in your best friend's arms for the first time, is really all grown up and getting married."

I pulled the Lexus out of the driveway frustratedly. "Maybe."

"She's still always going to be your favorite student, you know. And she's still always going to love you and appreciate you as the father she never had."

A smile crept its way onto my lips as I remembered the days when I was head of the Dare Dolphins Organization. I couldn't believe it had already been a year since I retired.

I missed it, but it was time to move on. Besides, now that Deontae's husband was in charge, I knew the kids would be in brilliant hands. He was a good man, who cared just as much about the youth as I did.

Lilac read my mind, once again taking my hand. The rest of the ride was spent in silence.

We arrived two hours later at the resort and quickly made our way to the ceremony, where Lilac and I parted ways. After what seemed like hours, the soft music finally faded in and the guests grew quiet.

I took a deep breath and stepped out into the bright white around me, Carter right by my side.

A few familiar faces walked in front of us, and I felt my heart fill with nostalgia at the first three.

Jayla, Elsie, and Jonice stood in a line together at the alter. Along with them was Cameron's sister, Beverlyn, and his childhood friend, Leanne.

There was one more beautiful lady that I gave a huge smile too; Julianna.

After Carter and Deontae got back in touch, he agreed to help her find her first foster family - and the only good one. Julianna was her older adoptive sister, and they've been inseparable since meeting again.

I glanced to the other side of the alter, beside Cameron. His best man was his brother, Oliver, who was the fastest to get here when he heard of the engagement. Next to him was his father, then Trey, then André. On the end was somebody I once would've laughed at for being caught anywhere near Cameron and Carter, much less in their wedding: Xavier.

Once his time at the organization ended, he actually did wind up in prison for fifteen months because he was caught with marijuana at the airport.

Dumb reason to go to prison, but it taught him a lot more about respect and personal boundaries. Once he got out, he reached out to Carter and took her out to dinner for a sincere apology. He and Cameron then saw each other in a new perspective, and the three have hit it off together.