38 - They're in Trouble

Deon -

             Something was wrong.

When Carter looked up at me, she nodded with understanding.

Her friends didn't know about our relationship, which was fine. Whatever. But I still had so many questions.

Why hasn't she talked about her current foster family yet?

Why is Cameron in trouble? What's his story?

Who was that man in Carter's house the first time I met her?

Who were the men chasing after her and Cameron?

"Just let me know, alright? Here, let me put my number in your phone."

I motioned at the phone in her hand, but she didn't move. When I called her nickname again, she nodded and handed it to me.

I went to her messages to add a new one. Before tapping the screen to type in my number, I noticed a new message from a contact under the name "spawn of satan".

"Gray, can you help me real quick?" André asked.

Carter looked back to me, but still followed her friend.

Thank you, André.

I didn't read the messages because that was none of my business.

Just kidding, I totally snooped. I'm an FBI agent for fuck's sake.

Spawn of Satan seemed like a spawn of satan, to say the least. His recent message read:

"remember what i said. no hathaway. no cameron. no deon. even a glance their way & you can relive what happened last night."
- spawn of satan
10:13 am

I read up and grew angrier by the minute. Then, I looked up at Carter.

She was talking to André. She glanced at something over her shoulder, though, and I followed the direction.

There was a station with a few people doing their work. However, one of them was watching Carter with calculating eyes. I squinted my eyes to see him clearer, and then everything fell into place.

You just answered one of your questions, Deon.

My fist tightened as I put the puzzle pieces together. Then, I noticed Carter heading back over. I quickly finished adding my number, also seeing the name "🥰 OG Ed 🥰" under it the top message

OG Ed? The fuck?

I didn't question her about it though, and gave her a smile when she stopped in front of me. At a lightning speed, I marked the message as unread and handed her phone back over.

"Here, now you can text me any time."

She gave me a small smile, pocketing the phone and returning to her own work.

I stepped forward again. "Gray?"

She looked to me again, eyebrows raised and expectant. On her neck, the faintest reddish-purple marks wrapped around her flesh.

"Let me know if you need anything, alright?" I told her.

That, I meant very sincerely.

She nodded and smiled. "Same to you, Deon."

I turned on my heels and returned to my station, too. I travelled back and forth throughout the day, taking note of everything going on around me.

I watched as the redheaded boy's eyes followed her everywhere. At one point, Hathaway called her over and I was close enough to eavesdrop on the conversation. I continued my work, moving clothes from a station down the hall to the one I was currently at.